Are you lazy? Well, we have some great news for you: You’re smart. Not just smart, but smarter than people who aren’t lazy!
Researchers from the Florida Gulf Coast University used a written test to find the perfect research group to prove their theory.
They divided the group into those who cherished thinking and actively sought out thought-provoking situations and those who would rather do anything but think.
That group was comprised solely of the men I have dated. HA! (Kidding, kidding.)
Then, they gave them activity monitors. The study doesn’t specifically say that these monitors are FitBits, but I’m pretending that’s the case just because of how much I heart my lil’ FitBit and I like to feel included.
After a period of 7 days, the results were in. The “thinkers” were markedly less active during the week than their less thoughtful compatriots.
So what do scientists think this means?
Their rationale is that smarter people are also lazier because they have longer attention spans.
They don’t need to always be on the move in the hunt for their next form of stimulation (kinky). In other words, they can sit on their asses for hours on end reading, napping, and thinking, while less intelligent people are like “LET US GO AND CLIMB UP YONDER MOUNTAIN SO THAT THE THOUGHT MACHINE ON MY SHOULDERS REMAINS QUIET ”
I like how this study basically validates my entire life. On Sunday, I got home from my boyfriend’s place around 1 pm. I watched three consecutive episodes of The Real Housewives (Melbourne, then New York, for those interested), then napped, and boom — it was 9 pm. It’s good to know that it turns out I am actually a genius, even though I’ve long suspected as much.
While this study is great for the purposes of flinging in the face of your more active friends when they try to shame you for the butt-marks on your favorite armchair, it is true living a strictly sedentary life is super bad for you.
Luckily, the awareness of their tendency towards sloth is supposedly all the encouragement smart people need to get off their butts and move a little.
True story: After my day of total laziness, I went for a nighttime walk and logged three miles, so clearly I am the poster child for this study.
Oh, one more very funny thing: The researchers running this study also found that on the weekends, the activity rates for both the lazy and the smart were equal! They claim not to know why, but I think we can all work that out.
Since we don’t work on the weekends, the smart probably move a little a bit more, and since the weekends are made for just chilling, the super-active probably allow themselves to move around a little bit less.
- Cost of fuel: Ghanaians must pay fair market prices – PUMA Energy President
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- Pay Toure over ¢100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Ghana places 72nd, stagnates in 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index
- Chicago prosecutor drops R Kelly’s sex-abuse charges
- Leicester City sign Ghanaian youngster Nathan Opoku
- Scores of Burkinabes flee to Ghana following attacks by suspected terrorists
- U.S. and Ghana governments partner to improve fish standards
- Herbert O. A. Quaynor
- National Tenants Union commends government for Implementing Rental Assistance Scheme
- Rail Robotics Club commissioned in Dormaa Senior High School
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- My ‘Aso’ song was inspired by a friend but it later happened to me – Kwabena Kwabena
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Xornametor Foundation constructs 3-unit pavilion for CK Korpe community
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Founders and chancellors of private universities announce name for new association
- National Cathedral: Board of Trustees should be dissolved and forensic audit conducted – Ablakwa
- Abolish protocol system in the CSSPS – Ablakwa
- Debt level is troubling; government must cut expenditure – Prof. Peprah
- Priscilla Aseye Febiri: 2023 top trends & insights about Influencer Marketing