Gold, copper, bronze, silver, chrome… Any colour goes for party season, as long as it’s metallic. We show you how to wear the hottest, shiniest new products.
Top tip: Base is everything when you’re wearing metallic make-up, so create a clean canvas with a foundation matched to your skin tone. L’Oréal True Match Foundation, £9.99, has expanded to a whopping 23 shades (matching 98% of UK skin tones), while No7 has a free new foundation shade-matching phone app – just pick up a colour-matching card in Boots.
A statement lip (Photo: Catherine Harbour)
Try a metallic twist on a classic red. First we applied (1) L’Oréal Color Riche Rouge Gold Lip Colour, £6.99, from the new Gold Obsession collection (all the lipsticks have a subtle hint of gold). Then we blended the Pure Gold shade over the top. Result: amazing, eye-catching colour that’ll have everyone asking what it is.
Switch smoky eyes for just a flash of metallic. Foil-effect liquid liners fit perfectly with fashion’s obsession with all things opulent, and are actually a lot softer than pure black. Our model is wearing (2) Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Colour Defining Liner in Gilded Brown, £18, and we also rate (3) Avon Chrome liquid liners, £6.50.
Be a bronzed goddess
Think liquid gold for cheekbones to keep the overall feel glowy and dewy. Turn your face to catch the light and sparingly dab on a liquid highlighter with your fingertips, taking it from the top of the cheekbone then around the eye socket bone. We used (4) L’Oréal Paris True Match Liquid Highlight in Golden Glow, £7.99. (You can mix it with foundation too for extra radiance.)
This season’s super-luxe foil effect nail polishes go perfectly with a flute of fizz, and look beautiful on both long and short nails. Our model is wearing (5) Barry M Molten Metals Nail Paint in Copper Mine, £3.99. No time for a mani? Cheat a gel-look one with (6) Primark Stick-On Metallic Nails in Gold Rush, £1.50.
Shimmer in glitter (Photo: Catherine Harbour)
Do a smoky eye as usual, but just use a microfine glitter shadow – our model is wearing the astonishing (1) Urban Decay Moondust palette, £35. These super-pigmented iridescent glitters go on just like regular eyeshadow (none of the loose glitter drop-down), but just wait until they hit the light and people do a double-take. Or for a softer sparkle, try (2) Essence The Metals Baked Eyeshadows, £2.50 each.
Dazzle with shimmers
When you’re wearing a statement glittery eye, keep your bling elsewhere on low beam. We brushed our model’s cheekbones with (3) L’Oréal True Match Powder Highlighter in Icy Glow, £7.99, for a gorgeous soft shimmer.
Hair and make-up: Cassie Steward
Model: Elle Trowbridge at Profile
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- 12 things you should never do when meeting your partner’s parents
- How humor can change your relationship
- Why global warming is a serious threat to our mental health
- Alcohol 'more damaging to brain health than marijuana'
- Tricky relationship signs that subtly tell, you should run!
- FDA warns public against purchase of 'penis enlargement capsule,' others
- Are you getting too much sleep?
- How to spot a lie in a text message
- No more sleeping sickness; experts embrace Fexinidazole pill
- A common struggle: Living with the fear of fears
- How your diet causes body odour
- Are you micro-cheating on your significant other?
- USAID launches new neglected disease control program in West Africa
- This is why you should never share your passwords with your partner
- How many times a week should you run?