Joy News has learnt the protest by workers at the Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital was largely sparked by the strict administrative measures being put in place by the Director.
Sources say Dr Eugene K. Dordoye has insisted on discipline and respect for laid down procedures, since his appointment.
In one incident, he reportedly evicted some nurses who are still occupying their official bungalows, despite being on pension in order to make room for other employees.
Dr Dordoye also directed nurses who are schooling without the appropriate study permits to do so before disciplinary actions are taken against them.
But some of the workers have been opposed to the changes and have threatened to work against him, a source told Joy News’ Central Regional Correspondent Richard Kwadwo Nyarko.
The revelation came less than 24 hours after the workers declared a sit-down strike in protest over the behavior of the Director.
The staff claimed Dr Dordoye has a poor human relation, which they said is working against the progress of the facility.
They have petitioned the Health Ministry and Ghana Health Service to withdraw the Director as the head of the Hospital.
But Joy News has learnt that although Dr Dordoye has a bad relationship with the staff, the protest was largely caused by the changes he has been bringing to the Hospital.
“He [Dr Dordoye] feels that the nurses are doing what they want at the facility and that is not what he wants,” a source said.
But Mental Health Authority CEO, Dr Akwasi Osei has appealed for calm, while Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu resolves the matter.
Although he said the workers have issues with the Director’s human relations, he believes Dr Dordoye’s disciplinary measures are appropriate to reposition the facility.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Twisted By Birth: The pain and shame of living with Obstetric Fistula
- NHIA rolls out mobile renewal of health insurance scheme to improve operations
- Holiday parties are not your excuse to cheat
- Doctors, nurses in rampant extortion at Tamale Hospital - Joy News uncovers
- Medical drones: IMANI condemns backers’ lack of knowledge of deal
- Hold on to your relationships: it's officially "breakup season"
- Restaurant dishes 'contain more calories than fast-food meals'
- Rapper Nicki Minaj's relationship with sexual offender upsets fans
- Oyoko women undergo free cervical cancer screening
- Drone Delivery Service: We are shocked at GMA’s inconsistency - Gov’t
- Medical drone project "inflated", "misplaced" -- Ato Forson insists
- Wife reads out husband’s affair texts instead of vows at wedding
- All of the best and worst love advice I learned from watching Christmas movies
- FDA hits beaches with tobacco, tramadol education
- Ghanaian doctor, German save life of a Ghanaian onboard KLM flight