Joy News has learnt the protest by workers at the Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital was largely sparked by the strict administrative measures being put in place by the Director.
Sources say Dr Eugene K. Dordoye has insisted on discipline and respect for laid down procedures, since his appointment.
In one incident, he reportedly evicted some nurses who are still occupying their official bungalows, despite being on pension in order to make room for other employees.
Dr Dordoye also directed nurses who are schooling without the appropriate study permits to do so before disciplinary actions are taken against them.
But some of the workers have been opposed to the changes and have threatened to work against him, a source told Joy News’ Central Regional Correspondent Richard Kwadwo Nyarko.
The revelation came less than 24 hours after the workers declared a sit-down strike in protest over the behavior of the Director.
The staff claimed Dr Dordoye has a poor human relation, which they said is working against the progress of the facility.
They have petitioned the Health Ministry and Ghana Health Service to withdraw the Director as the head of the Hospital.
But Joy News has learnt that although Dr Dordoye has a bad relationship with the staff, the protest was largely caused by the changes he has been bringing to the Hospital.
“He [Dr Dordoye] feels that the nurses are doing what they want at the facility and that is not what he wants,” a source said.
But Mental Health Authority CEO, Dr Akwasi Osei has appealed for calm, while Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu resolves the matter.
Although he said the workers have issues with the Director’s human relations, he believes Dr Dordoye’s disciplinary measures are appropriate to reposition the facility.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- How humor can change your relationship
- Why global warming is a serious threat to our mental health
- Alcohol 'more damaging to brain health than marijuana'
- Tricky relationship signs that subtly tell, you should run!
- FDA warns public against purchase of 'penis enlargement capsule,' others
- Are you getting too much sleep?
- How to spot a lie in a text message
- No more sleeping sickness; experts embrace Fexinidazole pill
- A common struggle: Living with the fear of fears
- How your diet causes body odour
- Are you micro-cheating on your significant other?
- USAID launches new neglected disease control program in West Africa
- This is why you should never share your passwords with your partner
- How many times a week should you run?
- Low-carb diets may work by boosting calorie burn