The nurses at the Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital have declared a full-blown strike to back their demands for the dismissal of their Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dr Eugene Dordorye.
The move came two days after Health Minister Kwaku Agyeman Manu pleaded for time to fix the challenges at the facility.
The workers say they want the “immediate dismissal” of Dr Dordorye over what they say is his “poor human relation.”
The spokesperson for the striking nurses, Emmanuel Ofori told Joy News their demand is not open to negotiation or discussion.
Related Article: Health Minister pleads for 3-months to deal with Ankaful stalemate
Health Minister Kwaku Agyeman Manu
“The Minister must act swiftly,” the nurses chorused.
The Health Minister had asked for “three-months” to fix the difficulties between the nurses and the CEO of the Hospital.
The nurses claim Dr Dordorye’s poor human relations is stymieing progress at the facility.
They declared a sit-down strike last Thursday that saw patients denied access to basic services.
After a crisis meeting on Tuesday, Mr Agyeman Manu pleaded with the workers to give him time to assess the situation, before taking any action.
But the nurses have declared a full-blown strike escalating a month-old dispute between them and their CEO.
Under the strike no patient will be treated, the nurses said.
But Chairman of Parliament’s Health Committee Dr Kwabena Twum Nuamah has described the action of the nurses as “blackmail.”
He said rather than shutting down services at the facility, the nurses should make their grievances known to the Minister.
Dr Twum Nuamah appealed to the striking nurses to reason with the Health Minister to restore calm at the Hospital.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- How your diet causes body odour
- Are you micro-cheating on your significant other?
- USAID launches new neglected disease control program in West Africa
- This is why you should never share your passwords with your partner
- How many times a week should you run?
- Low-carb diets may work by boosting calorie burn
- Goodbye 'gluten-free'? Celiac disease vaccine may make it possible
- How to stop comparing your relationship to others
- Health Director orders killing of Keta stray dogs
- Take charge of your health with these easy tips
- 10 awkward money scenarios to avoid on a date
- 'Can I forgive him? – How I discovered my husband’s sex obsession'
- Men with these 10 traits make the strongest, most valuable partners
- Former BOST boss donates generator to Bibiani hospital
- Ofosu-Barko Foundation offers free medical screening in Amansie West