The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) in the Ashanti Region has taken over investigations into the issuance of an alleged contaminated blood to a patient by the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH).
Addo-Kwabla Evans in a Facebook post, accused the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital of selling two units of HIV-Syphilis infested blood to his mum.
It follows an initial screening of the blood units by the Kean Health Center, a private medical center in Kumasi.
But the hospital has downplayed the report, saying blood from its bank are safe.
The management of the facility subsequently announced the setting up of a committee to investigate the alleged issue.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
“The Chief Executive wishes to state that, KATH has a track record of stringent blood testing protocols and maintains the highest standard for blood safety,” the Public Relations Officer wrote in a statement Saturday.
According to reports, the blood was determined to be unfit when it was tested at the private clinic the prospective recipient was being treated.
The investigative committee according to the statement will comprise of representatives from the Ghana Police Service, the Food and Drugs Authority, the National AIDS control programme and the National Public Health Reference Lab.
The patient and the family has been asked to release the blood in question to the investigation team.
Read the full statement below:
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- All of the best and worst love advice I learned from watching Christmas movies
- FDA hits beaches with tobacco, tramadol education
- Ghanaian doctor, German save life of a Ghanaian onboard KLM flight
- Posting children’s images exposes them to danger. This is how
- How sex bonds couples, and why sometimes it's not enough
- Mass Tilapia deaths recorded in Eastern Region
- The reason you sweat in your sleep
- Here's why you develop crushes, according to science
- South Tongu convenes over rising HIV incidence
- Female condom more pleasurable than male ones - GHS Boss
- Don't substitute robust medical supplies delivery system for drones – Think tank
- Do you believe in sexual destiny?
- Hypertension epidemic: Silent global killer
- Why you should call each other embarrassing pet names
- Kean Medical Center operating illegally - HEFRA