French President Emmanuel Macron has praised the skills of an 11-year-old Nigerian artist who drew a stunning portrait of him in just two hours.
Kareem Waris Olamilekan drew a portrait of President Macron during his visit to Fela Kuti's New Africa Shrine in Lagos Tuesday.
Macron is currently on a two-day visit to Nigeria and attended a cultural showcase at the venue to announce the launch of the Season of African Cultural Season, scheduled to hold in France in 2020.
While waiting for the President to arrive, Olamilekan got to work and created a portrait of Macron, which was presented to him by the event's host, Nigerian singer, Banky W.
Unbelievably talented 11-year old Kazeem paints the President of France on a canvas in just 2 hours at the New Afrika Shrine yesterday. You should have seen the shock on the Macron's face.#Art #Muse #PrideofLagos #AfrikaShrine #afrotourism #africa #culture pic.twitter.com/9Z0DDV25p7— Afro Tourism (Flights & Tours) (@afrotourist) July 4, 2018
A visibly moved Macron touched heads with Olamilekan and later took to Twitter to appreciate his work.
He posted a short video of the moment, with the caption, "Very touched. Congrats to this young boy."
Olamilekan is one of the youngest members of a growing community of artists in Lagos creating hyper-realistic charcoal and pencil paintings.
Very touched, congratulations to this young boy! pic.twitter.com/hQd3ylxGnV— Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) July 3, 2018
Hyperrealism is a genre of art that produces hand-drawn images resembling high-resolution photos.
Other young Nigerian creatives, like Arinze Stanley and Oscar Ukonu, are using their art to mirror real life.
It's an aesthetic growing in popularity, amongst both the local art community and an avid global audience.
During the event organized by TRACE media, President Macron was treated to a display from top contemporary Nigerian visual artists Ndidi Emefiele, Abraham Onoriode Oghobase and Victor Ehikhamenor, curated by ArtX Lagos fair founder, Tokini Peterside.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Alcohol 'more damaging to brain health than marijuana'
- Tricky relationship signs that subtly tell, you should run!
- FDA warns public against purchase of 'penis enlargement capsule,' others
- Are you getting too much sleep?
- How to spot a lie in a text message
- No more sleeping sickness; experts embrace Fexinidazole pill
- A common struggle: Living with the fear of fears
- How your diet causes body odour
- Are you micro-cheating on your significant other?
- USAID launches new neglected disease control program in West Africa
- This is why you should never share your passwords with your partner
- How many times a week should you run?
- Low-carb diets may work by boosting calorie burn
- Goodbye 'gluten-free'? Celiac disease vaccine may make it possible
- How to stop comparing your relationship to others