A bride-to-be died on the day she was due to try on her wedding dress after a gastric bypass operation went wrong.
Jana Moreels, 25, had wanted to lose weight to fit into her wedding dress so opted to have surgery.
Two weeks later she fell ill on her birthday and fell into a coma from liver failure two weeks later.
Her mother Christelle said: ‘It was during that night that she began to have back pain. We thought she just had taken it a bit too far with drinking.’
Jana continued to be unwell and her body rejected a donor liver. Mrs Moreels said: ‘Four days later the doctors also noticed a leak to the attachment of the gastric bypass which inflamed her abdominal cavity.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
Jana Moreels, 25, decided to undergo the surgery after feeling uncomfortable with her body
Jana underwent a heavy surgery. ‘On November 23 Jana got for the second time a new liver. Her body was however so weakened that she did not survive the surgery.
At 2am at night we drove in all haste to the hospital. We were unable to say our final goodbyes.’
She died on November 24, the day she was supposed to choose her wedding dress in her hometowm in Belgium.
Christelle said: ‘On June 29 she would marry. Everything was already arranged. She only needed to choose her dress.
‘Yet instead of choosing her wedding dress, we stood that day at her deathbed.’ Dad Laurent said he felt the need to share Jana’s story to the world to warn people before undergoing a cosmetic surgery for which there is no medical need.
He said: ‘It does not make sense to look for a culprit, we will never know what really happened and Jana will not come back.
‘But we want people to think twice or even three times before they have surgery. Accept yourself the way you are and do not let society influence you.’
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- All of the best and worst love advice I learned from watching Christmas movies
- FDA hits beaches with tobacco, tramadol education
- Ghanaian doctor, German save life of a Ghanaian onboard KLM flight
- Posting children’s images exposes them to danger. This is how
- How sex bonds couples, and why sometimes it's not enough
- Mass Tilapia deaths recorded in Eastern Region
- The reason you sweat in your sleep
- Here's why you develop crushes, according to science
- South Tongu convenes over rising HIV incidence
- Female condom more pleasurable than male ones - GHS Boss
- Don't substitute robust medical supplies delivery system for drones – Think tank
- Do you believe in sexual destiny?
- Hypertension epidemic: Silent global killer
- Why you should call each other embarrassing pet names
- Kean Medical Center operating illegally - HEFRA