A bride-to-be died on the day she was due to try on her wedding dress after a gastric bypass operation went wrong.
Jana Moreels, 25, had wanted to lose weight to fit into her wedding dress so opted to have surgery.
Two weeks later she fell ill on her birthday and fell into a coma from liver failure two weeks later.
Her mother Christelle said: ‘It was during that night that she began to have back pain. We thought she just had taken it a bit too far with drinking.’
Jana continued to be unwell and her body rejected a donor liver. Mrs Moreels said: ‘Four days later the doctors also noticed a leak to the attachment of the gastric bypass which inflamed her abdominal cavity.
Jana Moreels, 25, decided to undergo the surgery after feeling uncomfortable with her body
Jana underwent a heavy surgery. ‘On November 23 Jana got for the second time a new liver. Her body was however so weakened that she did not survive the surgery.
At 2am at night we drove in all haste to the hospital. We were unable to say our final goodbyes.’
She died on November 24, the day she was supposed to choose her wedding dress in her hometowm in Belgium.
Christelle said: ‘On June 29 she would marry. Everything was already arranged. She only needed to choose her dress.
‘Yet instead of choosing her wedding dress, we stood that day at her deathbed.’ Dad Laurent said he felt the need to share Jana’s story to the world to warn people before undergoing a cosmetic surgery for which there is no medical need.
He said: ‘It does not make sense to look for a culprit, we will never know what really happened and Jana will not come back.
‘But we want people to think twice or even three times before they have surgery. Accept yourself the way you are and do not let society influence you.’
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Couples treat at Luv FM's unforgettable Valentine Night of love
- Gabby Otchere Darko, McDan CEO pay for sick boy's surgery
- Millions of women had sex they didn’t want on Valentine’s Day
- 5 of the best exercises you can ever do
- Cardiothoracic Center receives GHS75,000 support from Awake Water
- Fashion Friday: Kokudé – Ghana's new exquisite fashion design powerhouse
- Hotline documentary: Robbing The Sick - Case of Tamale Teaching Hospital
- Mosquitoes, bugs invade Tema Community 11
- The best Valentine's Day movies for single people
- Don’t dismiss your ex after a breakup – you could be missing out on a great friendship
- Joy News uncovers ¢200K rot at Tamale Teaching Hospital
- Ashanti region records more epilepsy cases
- Tema records decrease in maternal deaths in 2018
- How to start having sex again after a breakup
- Marriage not for everyone: Kevin-Annan advises victims of marital abuse