Emmanuel and Brigitte Macron. Priyanka and Nick Jonas. Gabrielle and Dwayne Wade. Jennifer (soon to be Rodriguez) and Alex. What is the common thread between these couples? They’re all in relationships in which the woman is significantly older than the man.
On Friday, guests on the Super Morning Show thought they chime in on the age-old debate: does age matter?
“No matter what the circumstances of the relationship, there is always something that you will need to compromise on,” said Kabutey Ocansey, a professional events MC based in Accra. “If I was not married and I met an older woman I think I would compromise on her age as opposed to some other things.”
Kabutey Ocansey is a professional events MC based in Accra
Joy FM’s Animwaa Anim-Addo agrees. Age has nothing to do with the breadth and exposure of a person, she said, adding that there are some young men and women who have been through more than what some people have gone through in a lifetime.
“I am 35 and divorced. I have been married for 10 years and have two children,” she told Super Morning Show host Daniel Dadzie. “There are some people who have been through a lot at a young age, so of course, age doesn’t matter.”
According to Dr. Martey Nemko, a career coach who has been married for over 40 years to a woman five years his elder, several dynamics should be taken into consideration for men and women who factor age in a relationship.
Sexual harmony, maturity in the relationship, and health compatibility all play an integral role. In a 2016 report published in Psychology Today, he argued that “a man increases his chances of sexual compatibility by marrying an older woman,” adding that “Women live five years longer than men…so, on average, a man choosing a woman five years older is marrying his physiological equal,.”
But not everyone is on board with Nemko’s argument. Here’s what Joy FM callers had to say.
Daniel from Dansoman: God created Adam before Eve, so yes age matters.
Kofi from Adenta: Age isn’t an issue. The upbringing and exposure of the person are what makes all the difference.
David from Tamale: I have never loved someone who is older than me. I just don’t like that. Even if the person is just one year older than me it is not good.
Alberta from Ningua: I would not date a man younger than me. Definitely as we all grow he will look elsewhere so I would not date him. Dating an older man is better because they help us around the house.
Agyemang Joseph from Tema: The jealousy will give you a headache and at one point, and you would not control yourself because she is older. At some point they will look elsewhere.
Richmond from Weija: Age doesn’t matter although age comes with responsibility. When the man is older then he has the responsibility of always being active and engaged in exercise. If the lady is older, then the man has to respect the lady irrespective of what happens to the lady.
Bismark from Tema: Age doesn’t matter. I use my mother and father as an example. My dad was older than my mother by 10 years. It is all about understanding.
Maxwell from Spintex: A man wants to enjoy a woman that is younger so that the man knows that the woman can control the home. For the woman to be older it would be different.
Eric from Ashiaman: The most important thing is maturity. That is really all that matters. Not the age.
More Lifestyle Headlines
- I don’t want to cook for my family and I’m tired of feeling guilty about it
- President Akufo-Addo commissions U/W Regional Hospital
- New Jersey brother and sister allowed to marry after 10-year-long court battle
- Photos: Cosmopolitan Mix 30-day weight loss challenge: Work-out session gets off to flying start
- Government to upgrade Binaba Health Centre to PolyClinic
- Zoomlion, Health Ministry to deploy technology to map mosquito breeding sites
- 2019 NSMQ finalists take healthcare cover at Medifem
- Patients to pay more as GMA increases cost of medical services
- Fashion Friday: 22 countries, 44 designers make history at 2019 MB Global Fashion Week
- UCC medical school holds 10th white coat ceremony
- Fashion Friday: African-made luxury fashion is making a comeback
- Denied access to baby, ordeal of '63-yr-old' in mental home retold
- Cheating and manipulation: Confessions of a gaslighter
- Young people reporting Parkinson’s disease, health expert disturbed
- Community support for psychiatric patients adequate - Mental health Specialist