The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has declared a public health emergency following the detection of the poliovirus type-2 in the Northern Region capital, Tamale.
A public health emergency, according to the WHO, is "an occurrence or imminent threat of an illness or health condition, caused by bioterrorism, epidemic or pandemic disease, or (a) novel and highly fatal infectious agent or biological toxin, that poses a substantial risk of a significant number of human facilities or incidents or permanent or long-term disability.”
The declaration of a state of public health emergency allows the government to suspend state regulations and change the functions of state agencies.
Following the declaration, the GHS has detailed field investigations to identify the possible source of infection and determine the extent of geographic spread.
Dr Anthony Nsiah-Asare, Director of the GHS, explained in a statement issued on Wednesday, July 10 that the detection of the poliovirus type-2 was made possible through the collaboration between GHS and the Noguchi Memorial Institute of Medical and Research Centre (NMIMR) during routine surveillance.
Ghana in April 2019 marked 10 years of the country’s polio-free status.
Although polio has been reduced to its barest minimum in the history of the world, in countries like Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan the disease was still high.
Read details about the detection in the Ghana Health Service statement below.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Lluxury jewelry line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Your events are incomplete without Homeda Kente
- 5 texting signals that mean they're only interested in sex
- Upper West records highest malaria cases and related deaths
- 12 Photos you missed from Adjetey Anang, Elom’s 12th anniversary