Sodium bicarbonate, widely known as baking soda is quite popular when it comes to baking but did you know the baking agent can also be used as an air freshener?
Baking soda is valuable to your health.
It is a safe alternative to commercial air fresheners. It reacts with odour particles and neutralises them, rather than masking them like most air fresheners do.
According to a healthline article, you will need a small jar, 1/3 cup baking soda, 10–15 drops of your favorite essential oils, a piece of cloth or paper and a string or ribbon, to create a baking soda air freshener. Add the baking soda and essential oils to the jar. Cover it with the cloth or paper, and then secure it in place with the string. When the scent starts to fade, give the jar a shake.
Baking soda also eliminates the smell of sweat by making the odours less acidic. Try putting baking soda onto your armpits and you may notice the difference.
These are some other uses of sodium bicarbonate for both your health and a sparkly household.
It can be used to treat heartburns by neutralising stomach acid.
Heartburns are painful burning sensations which rise in the upper region of your stomach and spreads up to the throat. Drinking a tablespoon full of baking soda mixed in cold water or drink can treat heartburns.
The powder also whitens your teeth.
Baking soda contains abrasive properties that break the bonds of molecules that stain the teeth. According to PubMed, a database from the National Institutes of Health, it also has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight against bacteria. Studies have also shown that toothpaste combines well with baking soda to whiten the teeth.
Again, Sodium bicarbonate can also be used as a mouthwash.
Its properties help eradicate germs and bacteria trapped in the corners of the mouth. Add a teaspoon to a half glass of warm water and wash away.
Not only does baking soda whiten teeth, but it also whitens laundry. When dissolved in water, its alkali form allows it to react to acids that eradicate stains.
According to the healthline article, you can use baking soda to clean your kitchen and bathroom; Tiles, ovens, fridges, microwaves, clogged drains, showers, sinks, grease stains, stained coffee cup, scorched pots, bathtubs, and toilet bowls. Mix the powder with a small amount of water into a paste form. Apply on any surface for 15 – 20 minutes and wipe clean.
Cleaning your fruits and vegetables with baking soda saves one from dangerous chemicals in pesticides that cover the food. Interestingly, recent research has found that soaking fruits and veggies in a baking soda wash is the most effective way to remove pesticides without peeling them.
It eradicates carpet stains, shoe odours, kills weed, and garbage odors as well.
Bottom line, baking soda has many uses that essential for both our health and surroundings. So the next time you need to remove a stain, get yourself some baking soda.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- DR Congo: WHO declares Ebola outbreak global health emergency
- Lifestyle with Sakwaba: Love corner: Is what you’re feeling love or infatuation?
- How many bananas are enough?
- UG School of Nursing and Midwifery gets first substantive Dean
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Luxury jewellery line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair