Rapper Lil Wayne has accused police in New Orleans, Louisiana of fatally shooting a childhood friend by mistake on Sunday morning (16Feb14),hours after he had been partying with his pal at hip-hop mogul Bryan 'Birdman' Williams' 45th birthday bash.
Keith 'Magik' Atkinson was killed as cops were called to investigate a shoplifting incident at a corner store. The suspect was reported to have been wearing a blue shirt similar to the one the shooting victim had on, but witnesses claim he was not the thief and were stunned when one of the officers, Jonathan Hirdes, opened fire.
Cops claim they found a gun that had been stolen last May (13) next to his body, although the reasons for Hirdes' actions were unclear and are currently under investigation as police officials try to determine if the shooting was justified.
Wayne took to his Twitter.com account on Sunday to mourn the loss of his pal, writing, "R.I.P 2my homie Magik from my hood,just with him last nite kops killed him this morning, had a drink in his hand,not a gun.dats dat bulls**t (sic)".
And Mack Maine, president of Wayne's Young Money Entertainment record label, adds, "Just saw my homey last night hadn't spoke (sic) to him in a minute (while)…today the police killed him… crazy… #RIPMagic".
Atkinson had spent his Saturday night (15Feb14) catching up with Wayne and Maine as they celebrated their pal Birdman's birthday at a lavish private bash.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor