The governing NPP is insisting that former President John Mahama will collapse the free Senior High School policy if he is given the opportunity to lead the country again.
On Saturday, August 8, 2020, Mr. Mahama during a courtesy call on the Overlord of Dagbon, Ya Na Abukari II said, ‘If anybody tells you that I, John Dramani Mahama, will abolish free SHS when I come into power, tell the person he is a bloody liar’.
But, this, the NPP believes is an act of deception, arguing that the former president does not believe in the policy and has no clue on how to strengthen it.
In a statement signed by the National Youth Organiser, Henry Nana Boakye, the NPP indicated that “the seeming endorsement given to the free SHS policy by Mr. Mahama is driven by ill-faith, deception, and opportunism born out of Mr. Mahama and the NDC’s innate tendencies to subtly associate themselves with good things to benefit unduly from same.”
“If Mr. Mahama couldn’t pay trainees’ allowances in that he had to insensitively cancel it, where would he get over GH¢2 billion to fund free SHS?” Mr. Boakye quizzed.
Henry Nana Boakye, also known as Nana B asked Ghanaians to consider the NDC flagbearer’s comment as “comic relief” because the former President ould not find money to reimburse three consecutive terms’ feeding grants to keep second cycle institutions in the northern part of Ghana open.
He also outlined a tall list of high ranking officials of the NDC who vehemently opposed the introduction of the policy including running mate to the former president, Prof Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang, Chairman of the party, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo and General Secretary of the NDC, Johnson Asiedu Nketia.
Read full statement below.
JOHN MAHAMA DOES NOT BELIEVE IN FREE SHS; HE WILL COLLAPSE THE FREE SHS POLICY WHEN GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY
Reference to Mr John Dramani Mahama’s dishonest and opportunistic disposition relative to the implementation of the Free SHS Policy, the National Youth Wing of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) wishes to bring clarity to the matter, lay the facts bare, and expose the mischief and contempt therein.
It would be recalled that on Saturday, 8th August 2020, Mr Mahama paid a courtesy call on the Overlord of Dagbon, Ya Na Abukari II, during which he (Mr Mahama) made a deceptive statement that “Free Senior High School education has come to stay. He stated, “If anybody tells you that I, John Dramani Mahama, will abolish Free SHS when I come into power tell the person he is a bloody liar”.
The Youth of the NPP finds this statement very deceptive and we wish to respond as follows:
- That the general belief among Ghanaians that Mr. Mahama will scrap the Free SHS Policy in the extreme unlikely event that he becomes President again is NOT the creation of any individual or group of persons but the explicit engineering of Mr. Mahama himself as evident in his actions and utterances from 2008 to yesterday as stated forthwith.
- That it is on record that Mr. Mahama and the NDC in 2012 sponsored over 46 radio and television adverts against the Free SHS policy.
- That Mr. Mahama on November 23, 2012 told the people of Okere in the Eastern Region that “Free SHS will collapse the education system of Ghana”.
- That Mr. Mahama on October 1, 2018 reiterated his aversion to Free SHS, stating that it is unthinkable to spend 2 billion Ghana cedis on free SHS and that it is seriously constricting government’s budget and therefore when he become President, it will undergo a review.
- That Mr. Mahama on November 25, 2017 stated that “Lalasulala Free SHS will fail”.
- That Mr. Mahama at the NDC’s Tarkwa unity walk strongly rejected the Free SHS policy stating that It is unwise to implement it.
- That Mahama on his presidential primaries tour said to Akufo-Addo ”Free SHS is not working”
It is important to note that the stern opposition to the Free SHS policy witnessed over a decade is deep rooted in the NDC. Every single member of the NDC including high ranking leaders have, overtime, opposed and worked against the implementation of the Free SHS Policy as cataloged below:
- On October 16. 2018, Prof. Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang said free SHS is not working and that Ghanaians are complaining.
- The General Secretary of the NDC, Mr. Johnson Asiedu Nketiah is on record to have said on October 1, 2018 that Free SHS is shambolic and that it will have to be scrapped.
- The National Chairman of the NDC, Elder Ofosu Ampofo also on 18th December, 2018 said “free shs is bogus because double Track system is causing teenage pregnancy”.
- The then Minister of Education, Lee Ocran, on 10th September, 2012 said ”Free SHS can only be possible in 2032, in 20 years time”.
- NDC MP for Adaklu, Kwame Agbodza, on June 19, 2018 said ”Over concentration on Free SHS stifling funds meant for other sectors of the economy”
- Felix Kwakye Ofosu on May 14, 2018, had this warning for the government ”You can’t use oil money to fund Free SHS”
- Mahama Ayariga, on September 26, 2016, said ”Choose Mahama’s education policy, it is better than Akufo-Addo’s Free SHS.
The seeming endorsement given to Free SHS policy by Mr. Mahama is driven by ill-faith, deception and opportunism borne out of Mr. Mahama and the NDC’s innate tendencies to subtly associate themselves with goods things to benefit unduly from same.
If Mr. Mahama couldn’t pay Trainees’ allowances in that he had to insensitively canceled it, where would he get over Ghc2 billion to fund free SHS? Ghanaians should consider Mr. Mahama’s statement as comic relief because he (Mahama) couldn’t find few millions of cedis to reimburse three (3) consecutive terms’ Feeding Grants to keep Second Cycle Institutions in the northern part of Ghana opened.
It’s even pathetic that Mr. Mahama failed to make a pesewa available to pay for his shambolic Progressively Free Education and E-Blocks. It took President Akufo-Addo to pay for the gargantuan debt inherented in the Education sector encompassing Progressively Free SHS, E-Blocks, Supply of Vehicles, Chalks, Textbooks among others.
It is instructive to note that the Nana Addo led NPP Government do not need the incompetent and insensitive Mahama to remind us that Free SHS is working and has come to stay.
The massive endorsement from Religious leaders, Traditional leaders and the testimonies about the Free SHS policy from parents and well-meaning Ghanaians coupled with the dozens of successfully implemented economic and social policies provide enough grounds for Ghanaians to vote for the NPP to prevent the NDC from destroying these transformative and progressive policies in future.
The young people in Ghana are grateful to the President, HE Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo for his visionary leadership that has seen over 1.2 million Ghanaians access second cycle education free of charge.
Henry Nana Boakye (Esq)
(NPP, National Youth Organizer)
- Accra is second most expensive city in the world – Survey
- Complete abandoned E-block if you are frustrated – Akufo-Addo tells Aflao chief
- Shatta Wale remanded in police custody for one week
- Lil Win unites with Funny Face at Kaneshie District Court
- Kofi Kinaata drops visuals for Thy Grace singles
- Google agrees to integrate Ghana’s GPS into Google map system – Bawumia
- Ambassador to Italy, Eudora Quartey-Koranteng has died
- ‘I made a mistake’ – Akufo-Addo apologises for Cape Coast harbour comment
- Prof Nana Aba Appiah Amfo is 1st female Vice-Chancellor of University of Ghana
- Ursula Owusu-Ekuful could be NPP’s running mate in 2024 – Kwesi Pratt hints
Prof Kwadwo Appiagyei-Atua: Intrusion of national security details on campus a violation of academic freedom and democracy
Onion Sellers Association thank Akufo-Addo for relocation to Adjen Kotoku
World Cup Qualifiers: Ethiopia to host Ghana in Johannesburg
Stop conniving with foreign tile makers to shortchange Ghana – Mireku Duker to illegal clay miners
What makes a successful entrepreneur? – SamBoad Group CEO tells young Ghanaians
OccupyGhana’s letter to Special Prosecutor on unconstitutional time extension for public officers’ assets/liabilities declaration
MTN Group receives recognition on Fortune’s Change the World list
Ghanaian teachers are among the best in the world – Yaw Adutwum
Exports, fixed investment to contribute 0.8% to GDP in 2021 – Report
Fire guts house at Kwamo
Africa Makeup Fair, Awards slated for November
Pornhub owner settles with Girls Do Porn victims over videos
Paris Hilton pushes for US youth care abuse reform
Tax cheat schemes cost governments billions
Apple unveils new computer chips amid shortage