Audio By Carbonatix
After entering into a management agreement with a foreign company, Meridian Ports Services (MPS), officials of the Ministry of Harbours and Railways are seeking to prevent the contractors from assuming the management of activities at the Tema Port.
According to the Chronicle newspaper, The Ministry entered into an agreement of 70 – 30 in favour of the government to allow MPS to manage the container terminal at the Tema port.
The Sector Minister Professor Christopher Ameyaw-Ekumfi is reported to have said the contract had been suspended and that the issue was being considered to include indigenous Ghanaian companies in the deal.
MPS however made an attempt in the absence of the Minister when he travelled last week to takeover the management of the container terminal in spite of the directive by causing to be published in some newspapers in a joint statement with the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority that it would begin operations by March 31, 2007.
Meanwhile, the Ghana Association Stevedoring Companies (GASCO) also held a press conference in which they appealed to the President to intervene in the matter.
The association requested the President to consider the plight of the indigenous Ghanaian business because their interest was at stake.
They urged the President to “call all the parties involved to the table to discuss this issue and more importantly to take steps ensuring that indigenous businesses at the port are given the requisite incentives to grow and thrive.”
The association also asked for the exclusive use of berths 3-12 to create an indigenous entrepreneurial alternative to the port industry and said the takeover “would not be in the nations’ interest as it will create an avenue for capital flight which otherwise could have been used to finance local projects and plough back into the national economy.”
Source: The Chronicle
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
31 minutes -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
2 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
2 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
3 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
3 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
3 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
4 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
4 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
4 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
5 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
6 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
6 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
6 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
7 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
8 hours
