The total value of mobile money transactions for last year hit a remarkable GH ¢569 billion, data from the Bank of Ghana has revealed.
This outstanding performance was largely due to the covid-19 pandemic which triggered upward transactions of mobile mobile in 2020.
December 2020 which was the Christmas period registered the biggest transaction of GH¢67 billion.
This was followed by the month of September 2020 that recorded a total value transaction of GH¢58.8 billion.
In terms of mobile money interoperability, that is, the movement of cash from an account of one mobile service provider to another, total value of transactions was GH¢5.6 billion.
Whilst registered mobile money accounts stood at 38.5 million people, active mobile money accounts hit 17.1 million at the end of December 2020.
The business of mobile money has today become an important mode of financial transaction.
It reduces risks of loss in carrying cash and has proven to increase savings opportunities. Consumers can also use MoMo to pay bills such as electricity.
On the other hand, it comes with security threats, which call for adequate security to protect consumers.
Overall, mobile money transactions has become a cornerstone of the economy and therefore requires enhanced customer centric services to keep consumers happy.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- NDC party has now become lame – Dan Abodakpi
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
- 8 more die of Covid-19, active cases now 1,334
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Doctor withdraws notice to leave health centre after Bawumia donated equipment and supplies
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
More apprentices write COTVET exams in Bono Region
Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
‘A spit in the face of football lovers’ – Uefa boss condemns European Super League plans
GRIDCo releases excess fibre capacity to CSquared for broadband distribution
Amansie West MP initiates responsible mining program
My call to duty is worship – Wendy asserts in new song
Government to switch off analogue signal soon as CDTCL takes off
Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
Government assures local creditors of AirtelTigo arrangement to settle debt owed company
NASA makes history by flying a helicopter on Mars for the first time
We possess the ingenuity to oversee our economic restoration – Ofori-Atta tells staff
Herrera and Ozil among players slamming European Super League
Namibia asks gay parents to prove link to children
Film producer Alfred Agyapong ready to inject $150k into film industry
7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize