Audio By Carbonatix
Moroccan authorities began organising the gradual return of residents to the city of Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit areas in northwestern Morocco as weather conditions improved, state media reported on Monday.
Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February to protect them from overflowing river waters that swept across 110,000 hectares in the northwest.
Most residents of Ksar El Kebir, 213 km north of Rabat, are now allowed to return home, except for those living in a few neighbourhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.
INVESTMENT PLAN TO UPGRADE INFRASTRUCTURE
Train and bus rides were offered free of charge to transport residents who had sought shelter with relatives in other cities or in centres and camps provided by authorities, state TV reported.
Morocco plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers and shop-owners in the inundated areas, the prime minister's office said last week, declaring the hardest‑hit municipalities disaster areas.
The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160% of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream following exceptional inflows, resulting in rising water levels in the Loukous River, which inundated Ksar El Kebir and the surrounding plains.
Rainfall this winter was 35% above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than last year, official data showed.
Morocco's national dam-filling rate rose to nearly 70% from 27% a year earlier, with several large dams being partially emptied to absorb new inflows.
The exceptional rainfall ended a seven-year drought that had prompted the country to increase investments in desalination.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama to present historic resolution on slave trade to UN in March
32 minutes -
Tanker blast: NRSA presses for safety reforms
38 minutes -
Ghana, Lebanon deepen security cooperation after high-level talks in Accra
39 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has made no real impact after one year in office – Afenyo-Markin
41 minutes -
National Apprenticeship Programme targets 2,000 youth in Ashanti Region
42 minutes -
I will hold government accountable without obstructing Parliament – Afenyo-Markin
46 minutes -
Kennedy Agyapong gave me $5m without any agreement – Afenyo-Markin
53 minutes -
Bawumia’s post-primary unity drive commendable – Afenyo-Markin
60 minutes -
Mahama rallies his fellow world leaders to support Accra Reset
1 hour -
Take integrity, discipline as guiding principles – Chief Justice to law students
1 hour -
GACL calls for domestic, intra-regional flight growth
1 hour -
24-Hour Economy is more of a campaign slogan than policy – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Extremists in NDC not helping Mahama build lasting legacy – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede
1 hour -
Court awards GH¢200k for broken marriage promise
1 hour
