Municipal Chief Executive for Asokore Mampong has downplayed calls for the closure of Kumasi Academy over the death of three students from suspected cerebra-spinal meningitis.
Alidu Seidu says students would stay on campus pending an investigation into the incidents which have also seen close to 20 other students admitted to the hospital.
The assurance comes as health authorities await reports from blood samples of deceased sent to the Noguchi Memorial Centre for Medical Research.
Three out of 17 students, who were admitted at Komfo Anokye and University Hospitals, died over the weekend. Six have been treated and discharged and eight are still responding to treatment.
It brings to six the number of students who have died in the school in the last seven months.
A similar situation earlier in March this year caused a near confusion when parents rushed to the school to take their wards home.
Alhaji Alidu spoke to Nhyira FM after a closed-door meeting with school authorities and health officials to get first-hand information on the students' conditions.
He said a permanent physician assistant has been posted to the school for early detection of any abnormal health condition in the interim whilst all cases are forwarded to KNUST Hospital for further management.
Authorities are also taking steps to facilitate a proposed health screening for students.
"The school administration also has been asked not to dismiss anybody because once you dismissed get them, nobody knows what they would carry to the house," Alhaji Seidu said.
He believes any move of that nature could cause an outbreak of an unknown health condition.
"It is not about Kumasi Academy, it is about Ghana. If you dismiss them today because they are in the school, nobody knows who carries what home, " he warned.
He appealed to students, teachers and parents to remain calm while they await the Noguchi report.
Meanwhile, Alhaji Alidu has condemned the attack on Nhyira FM reporter by some teachers of Kumasi Academy on Monday.
Awuku Malik was manhandled and his recorder seized in the ensuing attack by the teachers.
"On behalf of the school, the assembly and I as well as the government, I want to apologize to the Multimedia Group Ltd for such a thing. We sincerely apologize. [I condemn the teachers] absolutely for what they did," he said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Wives United in Prayer Newtwork supports blind coconut seller
- Defunct UT Bank chases Woyome for GH¢9.4m debt
- E.P. Church honours Bawumia for his religious tolerance
- GHACCO applauds gov't for promoting clean cooking
- KNUST: Teacher unions restore suspended services
- Government accused of distributing expiring fertilizers to farmers
- Give Me Hope Foundation partners Alfie Design to train women in deprived c'nities
- Japanese passport now world's most powerful
- Ghana, Qatar sign 5 Memoranda of Understanding
- 95-year-old man wakes up at his own funeral, says he was just taking a nap
- Dagbon youth fight to keep Chereponi out of new region
- Update: KNUST reopens Friday
- EC Commissioner goes soul-winning at Accra Mall
- 'Time to possess nations' -The Church Of Pentecost unveils 5-year vision
- Ghana Library Authority revives 20-yr broken union with Book Aid Int.