Some Rural Banks in the Ashanti Region have donated GHS50,000 to support the Save a Child, Save a Mother project.
The campaign is an initiative of the Multimedia Group, which is supported by the First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo to raise GHS10 million to build the new facility.
This follows a documentary by Joy News’ Seth Kwame Boateng which highlighted the deprived state of the current one.
The documentary, ‘Next to Die' brought to light how a significant number of women in labour and babies lose their lives as a result of inadequate space and obsolete medical equipment at the Mother and Baby Unit at the KATH.
The documentary generated discussions in the country in which the public called for some action to be taken in the not too distant future to save the situation.
The new facility is expected to reduce the number of deaths recorded at the second largest referral hospital in the country.
There have been two fundraisers in Accra and Kumasi to raise funds in support of the project.
After putting their resources together, a delegation of the Regional Chapter of the Association of Rural Banks called at the offices of The Multimedia Group in Kumasi to present a cheque in support of the project.
Members say they are encouraged by the efforts of the First Lady and other partners to support such a worthy cause.
Chairman of the Association, Dr Obese Antwi believed the gesture will go a long way to help alleviate the plight of mothers and babies.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years