A middle-aged woman has been slapped with 12 months imprisonment with hard labour by a Magistrate Court in Dambai for trafficking her 8-year-old son.
The woman, Lydia Dotse, led her son to offer his services on the Volta Lake with one Mawuli Nyadzo for a fee of GH₵ 300 for the boy to work for a period of two years.
Mr Nyadzo who lives in the Krachi-East District of the Volta Region had paid the mother an initial GH₵100 and promised to pay the balance of GH₵200 at a later time.
Director of anti-trafficking agency, Partners in Community Development Programme, George Achibra, told Joy News the actions of the police in Krachi helped to rescue the boy.
"The police in Krachi had been tipped off and followed up to orchestrate the arrest of the man and rescue the boy", he said.
“The mother was also arrested for accepting the GH₵100 from the man and charged with conspiracy to traffic and trafficking of her son”, he added.
The Magistrate Court at Dambai sentenced both Mawuli Nyadzo and the mother of the boy, Lydia Dotse to 12 months imprisonment each with hard labour.
Mr Achibra is the founder of the Partners in Community Development Program and has been honoured by international institutions for his extraordinary efforts in fighting the worst forms of child labour in the fishing industry on the Volta Lake.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo
- 60-year-old graduate is 2018 National Best Farmer