The 19-year-old boy standing trial for allegedly defiling a nine-year-old girl failed to turn up in court when the case was called last week, our correspondent has reported.
Central Regional Correspondent, Richard Kwadwo Nyarko reports that the suspect failed to appear court as scheduled last week despite repeated reminders by prosecutors.
“It was getting to midday when the parents of the suspect arrived in court with a message that the suspect went fishing and had not returned,” Richard said.
The state prosecutor told Richard she had been in touch with the suspect until two days before he was due in court.
After that, anytime she called the phone was off, and when she managed to get through, the suspect did not answer the phone.
The suspect is expected to re-appear in court on Wednesday, November 22, 2017.
His parents have been instructed by the court to produce him. Failure to do this will result in the issuance of an arrest warrant for him.
The nine-year-old was defiled in the Komenda Edina Eguafo Abirem District of the Central Region and was left to die after her intestines popped out.
The vulva of the girl also swelled as a result of the gruesome act which happened about three months ago.
Some female police officers shocked at the incident, together with some senior officers, raised money and took the child to the Central Regional Hospital where she is receiving treatment.
The only support system available to the victim at the time was the contribution she received from the police officers.
There are many of such cases in the Central Region. Click here to read the sad stories of how young girls are being taken advantage of in the country.
Leave a comment