Golden Star Bogoso/Prestea Ltd has been adjudged the Mining Company of the Year at the 2017 Ghana Mining Industry Awards (GMIA).
The company saw off competition from leading mining companies to emerge winner of the coveted award. The event, which was graced by the Deputy Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Barbara Oteng Gyasi, was the third instalment since its inception in 2015.
The GMIA is organised by the Ghana Chamber of Mines every year to honour mining companies, personalities and service providers who have excelled in the promotion of socially and environmentally responsible mining.
Speaking at the event, Mrs Oteng-Gyasi commended the mining companies for their continued support to the development of the nation and assured the companies of the government’s commitment to connect the minerals sector to other areas of the economy.
She called on mining companies to deepen their engagement with local businesses to create the needed avenue for entrepreneurs to benefit from the value chain.
On his part the President of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, Mr. Kwame Addo-Kufuor, stated the commitment of the Chamber to support the economic transformation of the nation.
“As a Chamber we continue to engage our key stakeholders to ensure that the country benefits immensely from the minerals exploited be it in infrastructural expansion, job creation, health delivery, and education,” he said, adding, “the Chamber continues to collaborate with the Minerals Commission in the implementation of the local content regulation that seeks to boost the participation of local manufacturing businesses in the mining sector.”
The Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer of Golden Star Resources, Mr. Daniel Owiredu received the Mining Personality of the Year award for his sterling performance in leading the Golden Star Resources group in Ghana. Mary Anita Appianin of AngloGold Ashanti Iduapriem Mine was named the Female Miner of the Year.
Newmont Golden Ridge Ltd, Akyem Mine took home the prize for Best Performer in Environmental Manager while environmental journalist, Edem Srem was declared winner of the category on Best Mining Reporter for his documentary on the Atewa Forest. He took home a prize money of GHS5,000.
Below is a list of all award winners:
MINING COMPANY OF THE YEAR
Golden Star Bogoso/Prestea Ltd
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
WINNER:- Mr Ferdinand Ohene-Kena
MINING PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR (THE PRESIDENT’S AWARD)
WINNER: Mr. Daniel Owiredu, Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer of Golden Star Resources.
BEST FEMALE MINER OF THE YEAR –
Mrs Mary Anita Appianin of AngloGold Ashanti Iduapriem Mine.
Mrs. Catherine Kuupol Kuutor of Abosso Goldfields, Damang.
BEST MINING REPORTER –
WINNER:- Mr. Edem Srem :- The award goes with a prize money of GHS5,000
RUNNER-UP:- Mr. Kojo Agyemang of Citi FM
BEST PERFORMER IN CORPORATE SOCIAL INVESTMENT
WINNER:- Golden Star Resources’ Ladies Club, Breast Cancer Awareness Program
RUNNER UP:- Anglogold Ashanti Iduapriem Mine’s Basic Education Improvement Project
BEST PERFORMER IN INNOVATION –
WINNER:- Anglogold Ashanti Iduapriem Mine
RUNNER-UP:-Asanko Gold Ghana Ltd
BEST PERFORMER IN MINE SUPPLIES AND SUPPORT SERVICES
WINNER:- Zen Petroleum
BEST PERFORMER IN CONTRACT MINING
WINNER:- Maxmass Limited
RUNNER-UP:- African Mining Services (AMS)
BEST PERFORMER IN OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
WINNER:–Ghana Manganese Company
RUNNER-UP - Golden Star Bogoso/Prestea Ltd
BEST PERFORMER IN LOCAL CONTENT
WINNER:- Ghana Manganese Company
RUNNER-UP:- Chirano Gold Mines
BEST PERFORMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
WINNER:- Newmont Golden Ridge Limited, Akyem Mine
RUNNERS-UP:- Ghana Manganese Company & Newmont Ghana Gold Limited, Ahafo Mine
BEST COMMUNITY SAFETY BRIGADE
WINNER:- Perseus Mining Ghana Ltd.
BEST PERFORMER IN EXPLORATION
WINNER:- Asanko Gold Ghana Limited
RUNNER-UP:-Azumah Resources Limited
SPECIAL HONORARY AWARDS
- MR KOFI ANSAH, Former CEO of the Minerals Commission
- MR. EBEN SACKEY, Former Chief Inspector of Mines of the Inspectorate Divission of the Minerals Commission
- DR. PETER CLAVER ACQUAH, Former Executive Director of the Environmental Protection Agency
- BEST GRADUATE RESEARCH, Ahmed-Salim Adam of UMaT and Golden Star Bogoso/Prestea Ltd.
- BEST FEMALE STUDENT (LEVEL 200) UMaT, Bettina Abena Bediako
- BEST MALE STUDENT (Level 200) UMaT, Ebenezer Cobbinah
BEST ESSAY COMPETITION
- WINNER:- Miss Winnifred Korankye Amoah of Golden Star JHS
- RUNNERS-UP:- Master Albert Nsiah Nkrumah, of Chirano Basic School & Master Jewela Mponsah Donkor of Dandwen JHS Nsuta
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Violence against women: MP charges gov’t to resource DOVVSU
- Send Ghana wants govt to crack whip on School Feeding fraud
- National Chief Imam commends and prays for Joy News' Latif Iddrisu
- School Feeding Coordinator suspended
- Punish heads who use pupils for political activities – Bright Appiah
- Ghana paying too much for Medical Drones Service – Procurement expert
- Fiesta Royale donates to Maternal Unit of Achimota Hospital
- Prempeh College ’98 old boys donate water system to school to mark homecoming anniversary
- Finding natural riches in the world's driest desert
- Full document: Controversial MoH, Zipline medical drone agreement
- Ethiopian Airlines launches services to Manchester
- New book, “Made in Ghana” to be launched Friday
- Zimbabwean nabbed with 7kg cocaine
- “Russia’s most advanced robot” turns out to be man in robot suit
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, December 13, 2018