A surreal photo posted online of a moustache-wearing insect has left the internet perplexed. Commenters struggled to make sense of the bizarre close-up after the image, taken by leading scanning electron microscopist Steve Gschmeissner, was posted to Reddit this week.
The picture is actually of a mosquito’s foot at 800x magnification. Gschmeissner told Live Science: ‘Insects are fantastic for that because they have all this sort of fine microscopic details. ‘When you first put something in a microscope, you are never really sure what you’re going to see.’
The photo was part of the 2016 Royal Photography Society International Images for Science contest, but didn’t win. Gschmeissner continued: ‘I’m lucky that I do something I love.
‘When you first put something in a microscope, you are never really sure what you’re going to see. You still see things you don’t expect to see.’
The image show the hairy pads and small hooks along the mosquito’s tarsus that allows them to lock on to skin.
One confused Redditor wrote: ‘I actually thought that this was an elaborate pasta sculpture at first glance.’ While another one said: ‘Sweet moustache I might add.’
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo
- 60-year-old graduate is 2018 National Best Farmer