Booomers International, a social enterprise that manufactures bicycles and other products from bamboo has launched another program in its continued efforts to ensure quality education for children in rural communities.
The program, 'The Bike To School Program' started off last year after the company got support from UNICEF Ghana to provide 150 Bamboo bicycles for school girls in the Nchumuru District of Ghana through the Afram Plains Development Organization.
The company as part of its social efforts in working to partner with corporate bodies and development organizations to support children in rural communities have a means of transport to their schools especially in communities where there are no schools.
In April 2016, the company was approached by UNICEF to provide 150 Bamboo bikes for school girls in the Nchumuru District of the Volta Region and that was the beginning of something great to happen.
The CEO and founder of Booomers, Kwabena Danso reiterated the company’s commitment to supporting education as it has done so in the past.
He said they have supported several kids some of whom have now been able to complete their tertiary education whilst others still in the various tertiary institutions.
According to him, he is so committed to this program because he had to walk about 8 miles everyday to attend school in a different town.
The program is to supplement governments efforts in bringing quality education to several children in the hinterlands within the country.
For us, it is a very big thing because many children in rural areas have to walk long distances to attend school since most communities do not have the school facilities.
This situation had led to many children dropping out of school as they lose interest in education entirely.
“Actually my own experience in the rural community of Petepom near Bogoso is a testimony to this. At a point, I had no interest in going to school and I nearly dropped out of school”, the CEO said.
The program seeks to provide over 5000 rural children with bikes to school within a period of 10 years.
Mr. Danso urged corporate bodies and development organizations to support the program to ensure the vision and dream of the rural child become a reality.
Booomers international is a social enterprise which manufactures bicycles and other accessories with bamboo.
The company which has had its products in over seven countries in Europe, North America and Australia invests a substantial amount of its profits in the social development of the communities we operate in.
They provide need-based scholarships for children in rural areas and libraries to rural schools.
The organization with its partners through its sister organization is putting up a model school to support education in the rural communities in which it operates.
Currently, Booomers offers Bicycles, tricycles, balance bikes and phone speakers for local and international market.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- ‘God is in control’ of Akufo-Addo’s cleanest city promise – Minister
- Ghanaian firm offers to supply timber to rebuild Notre Dame
- MTN rescue Agogo Nhyiaeso pupils, teachers from collapsing school building
- Ghana less safe for journalists - Reporters Without Borders
- Stopping vigilantism requires full arsenal of conflict prevention - Ibn Chambas
- Islam, Christianity have more similarities than differences – Bawumia
- Remove barriers stopping introduction of GMOs – Graduate farmers tell gov't
- Akufo-Addo launches new cash crop programme
- Poor sanitation costs gov't $290m annually - Sanitation Minister
- Woman wakes after 27 years in coma
- ‘Kumasi market fires possible work of arsonists’ - Fire Service, KMA
- Sharubutu@100: Your speeches evoke wisdom - Rawlings celebrates Chief Imam
- CDD-Ghana adopts Senior Correctional Centers in Accra
- Chief Imam is an iconic leader - Mohammed Ibn Chambas
- Jailbreak: Convict, suspects escape from police cell