Five people have died in Guatemala after they were electrocuted while decorating a Christmas tree in a public park.
The five, one woman and four men, accidentally made contact with high voltage cables while hanging ornaments on an artificial Christmas tree made of iron and wires, local press reported.
The dead were between 17 and 24 years old.
The incident occurred in El Carmen Frontera, on the border with Mexico.
Tweets showed the tree lying on its side in the town's park.
Rescue workers said the five had died instantly.
Residents said the Christmas tree had been erected in the same place for the past 20 years without any problems.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Cargill calls on COCOBOD, Agric Minister
- 4-year-old girl dead after being defiled
- Ban on small-scale mining lifted
- New dawn as gov’t train ‘galamseyers’ to mine the right way
- From grass to grace: How a young man surmounted challenges to become CEO
- Anti-galamsey taskforce attacked over arrest of Chinese miners
- Special report and photos: A boy’s wish
- Prampram Mankralo gunned down by unknown assailants
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, December 14, 2018
- Man quits his job to wait for “dream girl” he made eye contact with for 10 seconds
- City Construction & Properties Awards launched to promote building excellence
- The deadliest place in Earth’s history?
- NCA warns defaulting radio stations to settle authorisation fees
- Gov't working on law to improve cybersecurity environment
- Gbewa Palace gates open as Abudus perform funeral for overlord