The Overall Best Farmer for the Prestea-Huni Valley District in the Western Region has returned all the awards he received at this year's Farmers' Day celebration held at Dumase near Bogoso.
Mr. John Enimil, a 35-year-old who was adjudged as the Overall District Best Farmer on Friday, December 1, 2017, went home with four knapsack sprayers, a bicycle, five wellington boots, nine cutlasses, 2 radio sets, a flat-screen TV and a table-top fridge.
Mr. Enimil owns 120 acres of rubber plantation, 52 acres of cocoa farm, 10 acres of sugarcane farm, 10 acres of palm nut plantation, 2 acres of rice farm, 2 acres of cocoyam, 2 fish ponds, 150 of local fowls, 150 of poultry fowls, 85 trees of pea and 360 coconut trees.
Currently, he has a total staff of 15 workers.
Barely a week after receiving his awards from the government, Mr. Enimil has returned all his award package to the Agriculture Department in the District.
Confirming the news to Ghanaweb, Mr. Enimil explained the package given to him as an Overall Best Farmer was a disgrace to him and Prestea-Huni Valley.
According to him, "In 2016 the Overall Best Farmer received a brand new tricycle (Aboboya) so I was expecting the same or very important item than this bicycle", he lamented.
"The District has embarrassed me and there is no way I will take the items again, they should take their items", he added.
"What pains me a lot is a common certificate they didn't give me some and these people think I'm not a person, they take we the farmers for granted", he told www.ghanaweb.com.
He also revealed that the Member of Parliament for the area has called him to exercise patience as the District is trying to resolve the issue but he added that he remains unmoved.
The District Director of Agriculture of the District, Mr. Gabriel Adjargo has declined to comment on the issue. The situation has generated a lot of hullabaloo in the District.
This year's celebration was under the theme, " Farming for Food and Jobs".
Have your say
More News Headlines
- First Atlantic Bank donates Mother and Baby Unit to the Talensi District Hospital
- OtherslikemeGH participates in Total Startupper of the Year Competition
- Gandhi statue on University of Ghana ‘falls’
- Roman Ridge School tops Inter schools Chess tournament
- 'For the dignity of mankind' - Ghanaian who saved life on KLM flight reveals motivation
- “Earthquakes don’t kill, poor buildings do” GSA pushes for L.I.
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- U.S. Embassy issues alert on Dagbon; warns citizens against travelling to town
- Gov’t must secure peace progress as Yendi gets set for Yaa Naas' funerals - Dr Aning
- Real-life Rapunzel hasn’t had a haircut in 28 years
- Ghana named among top 5 destinations in Africa for 2019
- GMA demands suspension of drone health service deliveries
- Osei Asante chairs International Cost Engineering Council
- UPSA Vice-Chancellor honoured with CIMG Fellow status
- REGSEC meets Abudu, Andani reps ahead of 2 funerals