Police in Aboaba Akorem in the Ashanti Region capital, Kumasi, have killed a suspected armed robbery gang member during a shoot-out on Monday.
The suspect, identified only as Basat Obodo, popularly known as Outlaw, was on the police wanted list.
He was killed by the Ashanti Region Anti-Robbery Taskforce following a tip-off.
The taskforce mounted a search in the area and found the gang of robbers hiding in an uncompleted building.
A shootout ensued resulting in the death of the wanted armed robber.
Ashanti Region Police Relations Officer, ASP Juliana Obeng, told Joy News Tuesday morning that the gang of robbers has been terrorising residents in the area.
She said the gang recently killed a police officer in Tema, in the Greater Accra Region.
The notorious robber had until Monday outwitted police on several occasions.
He had earlier on Monday evaded capture but resurfaced in the Aboabo Akorem Area later.
As the police team accosted him, he is said to have ordered his armed men to attack the security personnel.
A police officer sustained gunshot wounds and is currently recovering from his injuries.
The rest of the gang members, three in number, fled after the death of Basat.
Police say a search for the three gang members is ongoing.
The Regional Police Command will provide further details of the incident at a media briefing Monday morning.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo
- 60-year-old graduate is 2018 National Best Farmer
- Days of 'goro boys' numbered as DVLA posts official charges