One-time winner of the National Science and Maths Quiz, Ghana Secondary Technical School made their first time appearance in the 2017 National Science and Maths Quiz when they met Tepa SHS and Wesley Grammar School at the R.S. Amegashie auditorium in the University of Ghana Business School on Thursday.
With both winning their preliminary contests, Tepa SHS and Wes-G were determined to right the wrongs of their predecessors. That dream was however, impeded by a more composed GSTS side who brought their A game to bear in almost all the rounds.
GSTS had 48 points to show for that brilliant performance they put up. Tepa SHS and Wes-G bow out with 28 and 36 points respectively.
The second contest for the day was an Ashanti Regional derby when three time winners, Prempeh College, St Louis SHS and Toase SHS, schools located within a 30km radius locked horns in a rivalry contest. Prempeh College staged a show which was irresistible to watch as they consistently answered correctly most bonus questions including their major questions in the first round.
St. Louis found their voice in the last round after been pegged at 22 points with Tepa SHS at the end of the penultimate round. They answered correctly two riddles on the second and third clues which gave them 29 after proceedings. Prempeh also answered the other two riddles to end the contest with 49 points.
Debutants Aduman SHS were written off coming into the contest with St Monica SHS and Presby SHTS, Aburi. The room lost its energy it assumed before the beginning of the contest which was due to schools consistently giving wrong answers. The contest which was the last for the day was open from round one to four with just two points between St Monica who had 30 and 32 for Aduman.
Aburi Presby who had 23 points at the end of round four, answered two correct riddles totaling 6 points. It seemed, for a moment, they were turning the tables but there was how far they could go, ending the contest with 29 points. The last two riddles were shared between St Monica’s and Aduman SHS. By this outcome, Aduman goes to the one-eighth stage with 35 points against St Monica’s 33 points.
Below are the results for Thursday:
Ghana Secondary Technical School: 48
Wesley Grammar School: 36
Tepa SHS: 28
Prempeh College: 49
St Louis SHS: 29
Toase SHS: 22
Aduman SHS: 35
St Monica SHS: 33
Presby SHTS, Aburi: 29
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years
- 2019 Budget: Finance Minister's 'completed recreational park' at Oda
- 1998 year group of APASS refurbishes school dining hall
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder
- Protest erupts over terrible Hohoe roads