At least three people suspected to be Togolese have been arrested for engaging in illegal mining at Keniago Essienkyem in the Amansie West District of the Ashanti Region.
The men were apprehended during an operation by a joint team of police from the Manso Nkwanta district, SWAT and government’s anti-galamsey taskforce.
The three men allegedly tried to bribe the security personnel with the sum of GHS1,300 to let them off the hook but they were not released.
Also a total of nine rafts and 12 chanfan machines were destroyed by the anti-galamsey taskforce during the operation.
Manso Nkwanta District Chief Executive, William Bediako Asante who led the operation, told the media the exercise was part of a sustained effort to combat galamsey in the area in consonance with the government's policy of ending unregulated and dangerous illegal mining in the country.
He noted no Ghanaian or foreigner will be allowed to frustrate efforts by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to safeguard the water bodies and environment.
Manso Nkwanta District Chief Executive, William Bediako Asante
Mr Bediako Asante said the three would be arraigned before the court in the Region and their bribe would be tendered in as an exhibit.
He implored chiefs and residents to desist from harbouring “miscreants” in the community.
The DCE was emphatic anyone found to connive with locals or foreigners to engage in illegal mining will be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the laws of Ghana.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years
- 2019 Budget: Finance Minister's 'completed recreational park' at Oda
- 1998 year group of APASS refurbishes school dining hall
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder
- Protest erupts over terrible Hohoe roads
- Public universities deliberately crippling private ones - Prof. Adow Obeng
- Unilever launches livelihood empowerment project for women in Upper West
- Demo in Nsuta after truck driver kills teenager
- Joy News' presenters help free 'arrested' RTI coalition member
- MTN Heroes of Change season 5 launched
- Kweku Adoboli welcomed home with 'family party'
- Couple who can’t smile because of rare condition fall in love after meeting online
- 35% tax on 10k income earners scrapped
- Private sector jobs hits 208,620 in 2018