Police in the Brong Ahafo Region are searching for members of an unidentified group who have issued threats of attacks on residents of Banda Ahenkro.
Wenchi District Police Commander, ASP Asamaoh-Agyekum, told Joy News Friday residents are living in fear because of the group’s threats.
He explained the arrest of the members of the group for interrogation will calm the tension in the community.
Scores of residents including teachers, health care personnel, and traders have fled Banda following a threat of attacks by an unidentified group.
An empty classroom in Banda
In a letter severally duplicated and scattered in the community, the group accused non-indigenes of taking their jobs and warned to leave the community.
It warned non-locals to vacate the area without delay else they will be murdered in broad day light.
Already, about 40 basic schools have been shutdown following the threat, a development education authorities have described as worrying.
The Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) and National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) have weighed in on the issue calling on security personnel to secure the community.
But the police have urged residents not to entertain fear since a joint contingent of police and military personnel have been dispatched to protect them and their properties.
Banda Member of Parliament, Ibrahim Ahmed, has also waded into the issue charging the police to arrest members of the group.
He said they are working hard to ensure the schools that have been closed are opened.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Nutifafa Kuenyehia's address at 2018 School of Humanities congregation
- Manso Nkwata killing: MP calls for prosecution of “murderers” in uniform
- Number of Ghanaians studying in U.S. increases - Study
- Ghanaian named in BBC list of 100 most influential women
- That's My Opinion: We are failing, despite the benefit of hindsight
- Swiss cheese maker plays music to his cheese to make it taste better
- Rumors I'm planning an attack untrue – Regent of Dagbon
- Armed robbers shoot policeman in the eye
- Manso-Nkwanta: 7 killed by police not armed robbers - Gov't
- The shipwreck that created a culture
- 'Human Spider' banned from climbing any UK building
- Today's front pages
- You can now travel across Morocco on Africa’s First High-speed train
- 3 arrested over Asiwa police chief attack
- Pantang Hospital JHS pupil wins Aspire to Bee spelling competition