A Colombian woman reportedly swallowed at least $US7,000 in a desperate act to hide the money during a fight with her husband, according to doctors in the South American nation who extracted the bills through surgery.
The 30-year-old woman swallowed rolls of $100 bills.
She told the local RCN television channel she had saved up the money for a holiday with her husband after selling several electrical household items.
Doctors said they were able to surgically extract 57 $100 bills from the woman's stomach and intestines.
Director of Surgery at the University Hospital of Santander, Juan Paulo Serrano, said the majority of the bills were surgically extracted from the stomach, while additional rolls would be passed through the colon.
The fact the rolls were not wrapped up or packaged suggest they were not swallowed for any form of illicit transport, Dr Serrano said, but rather were ingested in an "act of desperation"
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Concerned old boys of Bishop Herman College raise funds to buy mono-desks
- Prof Bawole appointed Dean of University of Ghana Business School
- An entire family is wiped out a day in road crashes - Report
- Prof Atuguba appointed Dean of University of Ghana School of Law
- YEA introduces job centre platform to boost employment
- 82% of LPG stations in Central Region pose danger to lives, property
- Afoko’s rights ‘clearly’ violated – GBA president
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, July 17, 2019
- Police appeal for public assistance to catch Tema fuel station robbers
- Kumasi Academy past students elect new executives
- Restaurant in Japan bans Japanese customers, only serves foreigners
- Hotel near Buckingham Palace serves $200 cup of tea
- Photos: Dag Heward-Mills works miracles in Namibia
- John Jinapor supports education in Central Gonja
- Soldier gets 90 days detention for 'Drop That Chamber' viral video