A Colombian woman reportedly swallowed at least $US7,000 in a desperate act to hide the money during a fight with her husband, according to doctors in the South American nation who extracted the bills through surgery.
The 30-year-old woman swallowed rolls of $100 bills.
She told the local RCN television channel she had saved up the money for a holiday with her husband after selling several electrical household items.
Doctors said they were able to surgically extract 57 $100 bills from the woman's stomach and intestines.
Director of Surgery at the University Hospital of Santander, Juan Paulo Serrano, said the majority of the bills were surgically extracted from the stomach, while additional rolls would be passed through the colon.
The fact the rolls were not wrapped up or packaged suggest they were not swallowed for any form of illicit transport, Dr Serrano said, but rather were ingested in an "act of desperation"
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years
- 2019 Budget: Finance Minister's 'completed recreational park' at Oda
- 1998 year group of APASS refurbishes school dining hall
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder