The Police at Bibiani in the Western region are investigating the death of a 12-year-old girl who was allegedly defiled in Tano Odumase in the Ashanti Region.
The class five pupil died presumably from infections she contracted as a result of the alleged sexual assault.
Joy News' Kwasi Debrah reported a mood of pain and anger among family members when he visited the family home.
Samuel Fofie, uncle of the deceased who spoke on behalf of the family said Kwaku Bernard, 20, a fair guy in the area forcibly slept with her.
The girl, who was allegedly defiled by Bernard three months before her death has reportedly been sick since the incident.
According to Mr Fofie, his sister informed him of the deceased being sick and upon interrogation, she mentioned Bernard’s name as having sexually assaulted her.
She told her mother that the young man took her into a kindergarten building and forcibly had sex with her and warned her never to tell anyone.
He promised her financial gains if she does not tell anyone but her uncle said he threatened her with a police arrest and she spilled the beans about what Bernard had done to her.
Unit Committee members who heard the account quickly got Bernard arrested and sent to the Bibiani District police headquarters.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Build capacity for AU states to fight violent extremism online - IT Expert
- STAR Ghana Foundation holds private sector engagement
- ECOWAS Brown Card big shots meet in Gambia for 35th AGM
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, November 22, 2018
- Sometimes punishment is good – Montie 3 ex-convict declares
- 16,000 newly trained teachers accept to do national service
- Woman eats only instant noodles for 3 weeks to save money; ends up in hospital
- 16 best destinations to visit for a warm Christmas
- Emmanuel Agyarko has died
- Dagbon peace process: Say hurray with caution – Security Expert counsels
- Hot Audio: Peace beckons at last in Dagbon as Asantehene announces roadmap
- Photos: ¢100,000 stolen in daring night operation at Cape Coast supermarket
- What flight attendants really wish you'd do on your next flight
- Passengers asked to pay for plane repairs so they can get home
- GES orders headteachers to line pupils on street to welcome Akufo-Addo