The police in Ashanti Region have arrested 245 suspected criminals and sex workers at various criminal dens in the Kumasi.
Joy News’ reporter Nana Yaw Gyimah said the suspects are being screened for processing before a court.
The Regional Police Command has explained the exercise forms part of its strategies to rid the metropolis of criminals.
Regional Police chief, COP Ken Yeboah told the media Thursday, the operation was the biggest swoop ever done in the metropolis.
He said 35 female suspects believed to be commercial sex workers have been handed over to the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit for further investigations.
At least five of the male suspects who were found in possession of substances suspected to be Indian hemp have been handed over to the Drug Law Enforcement Unit, he added.
1. Ashanti Central Division – One hundred and two (102) suspects were arrested at Pampaso, PZ area, Ahodwo, Adam, Railways, Columbia and Kenyase-Abirem.
2. Asokwa Division – Eighty-six (86) were rounded up at Ashfo BB, Neoplan station and Sokoban Wood Village.
3. Manhyia Division – Twenty-six (26) suspects were picked up at Alaba, Tinker Island, Affordable Housing and Akwatia-Line.
4. Ejisu Division – Sixteen (16) suspects were rounded up at Besease, Ejisu Zongo, Abenase and Onwie.
5. Tafo-Pankrono Division- Nine (9) suspects were also rounded up at Pankrono, Ahwiaa and Moshie Zongo.
6. Suame Division – Six (6) suspects were rounded up at Kotoko.
Some of the suspects are reported to be Nigerians, a development COP Yeboah has revealed he will inform the Nigerian High Commission about it for remedy.
He indicated he will be meeting the Nigerian High Commissioner in Ghana on Friday, for discussions about the conduct of their nationals.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo
- 60-year-old graduate is 2018 National Best Farmer
- Days of 'goro boys' numbered as DVLA posts official charges