Woyome makes moves to scamper retrieval of ¢51.2m

Woyome makes moves to scamper retrieval of ¢51.2m
Source: Ghana| Myjoyonline.com| AKAP
Date: 16-10-2017 Time: 01:10:42:pm
Businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome

Businessman Alfred Woyome has filed two fresh motions at the Supreme Court in an attempt to scuttle the state’s decision to retrieve the ¢51.2 million wrongfully paid him by the past government.

The first motion is seeking to halt the oral-examination, while the second motion is accusing state officers of illegally stomping his residence to value his properties.

Lawyers for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) financier said the state has no order backing its decision to value their client’s properties.

Related Article: Protect my human rights - Woyome appeals to Akufo-Addo

According to them, the January 9, 2015, order issued by the Court, had expired but the state had made no attempt to renew it before using it.

Mr Woyome is praying the court to halt the state by declaring its actions as illegal.

Godfred Yeboah Odame

The Attorney-General, Gloria Akuffo initiated processes to value the businessman’s properties in the attempt to retrieve the ¢51.2 million paid him.

Some security personnel and officers from the Ghana Valuation Board visited Mr Woyome's Trasacco residence last month to value his properties, but Mr Woyome resisted.

The A-G has argued her actions were backed by the Supreme Court, but lawyers for the businessman said the legal permit that allowed the state to conduct the valuation had expired.

However, Deputy A-G, Godfred Odame said the state has a new order from the court dated January 6, 2016, that backs their actions.

The court has set October 20, 2017, for the ruling on the two motions.