It’s been a deadly weekend in the Northern Region. Two separate motor accidents have claimed the lives of 18 people.
Sixteen people died in the early hours of Sunday, April 15, 2018 in a tragic accident at Yapei-Yipala on the Tamale-Kumasi Road.
According to the police, a bus carrying 70 passengers, in an attempt to overtake a cargo truck, crashed into another bus.
A police spokesperson said a Yutong bus and a Kia bus collided at Yipala, 10 kilometres from Yapei.
He said the collision happened off the road. The police suspect the two buses, which were moving in the opposite direction swerved to the same direction and crashed into each other.
Both drivers died in the accident, he said.
At Savelugu, also in the Northern Region, another accident killed two.
Northern Region Police PRO, ASP Yusif Tanko told Joy News a tricycle carrying firewood lost control when the firewood poured onto the road.
An oncoming truck, he said, crushed the two riders of the tricycle killing them instantly.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Swedru municipal guard in assault case arrested
- Eugene Arhin recognised among 'Most Influential People of African Descent'
- Unemployed man remanded over robbery
- Absence of policy framework on road safety to blame for carnage - Lawyer
- NADMO distributes relief items to Chereponi victims
- Paul lobbied to appear on AWW Commission – Kofi Abotsi reveals
- Baako calls for ‘occasional’ media blacklist of Police Service
- Gov't working towards non-custodial sentencing regime
- Woman assaulted at Midland Savings petitions AG over dismissal of her case
- Chinese Police use alleged criminal’s childhood photo for wanted poster
- Black Friday: Randy Abbey’s critical questions to gov’t on road accidents
- Gov't taking firm steps to clear arrears owed caterers - Minister
- This is the world's busiest airport
- NDC mourns Black Friday road carnage victims
- Minority wants Roads, Transport and Interior ministers summoned over road carnage