The Ashanti Regional office of the National Disaster Management Organisation NADMO has discovered a massive infestation of bedbugs in many senior high schools in the capital, Kumasi.
Many other schools are struggling to deal with snakes and scorpions.
Correspondent Erastus Asare Donkor spoke with some students who said the insects had invaded many dormitories.
They said they were forced to virtually sleep in the classrooms and return to the dormitories in the morning to prepare for classes.
Even the classrooms, the students said, are not without bedbugs.
Saturday, NADMO began a large-scale fumigation exercise to flush out the insects causing sleepless nights for students.
Metro NADMO director Frank Kwadwo Duodu told JoyNews the infestation is the worst he has ever seen.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- IHRMP honours Multimedia's HR manager
- Cat climbs into box, accidentally gets posted 700 miles away
- Guardians of Gray Masters Foundation to renovate 'deplorable' Bekwai Infirmary
- Ga East Municipal Assembly seizes developer's equipment
- GII calls for 'resurrection' of double salaries, other cold corruption cases
- Tree planters plant themselves at Commission over unpaid arrears
- 'The higher calling to serve': 18 Liberty Church pastors ordained
- Local Accra restaurant, N8TIVE, turns 1 in style
- Man charged for allegedly shooting, paralysing wife
- Opuni Trial: 'CRIG documents tampered, misfiled'
- Top prison bosses, 42 others promoted by President Akufo-Addo
- Prioritise education, digital connectivity – Lagarde advises gov't
- The five top destinations to visit in 2019 – an insider’s guide
- “World’s prettiest man” has to show ID to prove he’s male
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, December 18, 2018