What was expected to be an intellectual debate by tertiary students at the University of Ghana turned violent with clashes between students of the Mensah Sabah and Commonwealth Halls, all of the University of Ghana and the Katanga hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
A student is reported to have suffered severe injuries from the clashes with at least ten others arrested by the Legon Police.
It is not immediately clear what may have triggered the attacks but according to Joy News’ Ernest Manu, one of the students of Katanga Hall was alleged to have been attacked yesterday which triggered a reprisal from the Kumasi-based hall, Monday.
There were also clashes between the Commonwealth Hall and the Mensah Sarbah hall, Manu added.
There is a heavy police presence on campus with many of students fearing further reprisals.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Swedru municipal guard in assault case arrested
- Eugene Arhin recognised among 'Most Influential People of African Descent'
- Unemployed man remanded over robbery
- Absence of policy framework on road safety to blame for carnage - Lawyer
- NADMO distributes relief items to Chereponi victims
- Paul lobbied to appear on AWW Commission – Kofi Abotsi reveals
- Baako calls for ‘occasional’ media blacklist of Police Service
- Gov't working towards non-custodial sentencing regime
- Woman assaulted at Midland Savings petitions AG over dismissal of her case
- Chinese Police use alleged criminal’s childhood photo for wanted poster
- Black Friday: Randy Abbey’s critical questions to gov’t on road accidents
- Gov't taking firm steps to clear arrears owed caterers - Minister
- This is the world's busiest airport
- NDC mourns Black Friday road carnage victims
- Minority wants Roads, Transport and Interior ministers summoned over road carnage