What was expected to be an intellectual debate by tertiary students at the University of Ghana turned violent with clashes between students of the Mensah Sabah and Commonwealth Halls, all of the University of Ghana and the Katanga hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
A student is reported to have suffered severe injuries from the clashes with at least ten others arrested by the Legon Police.
It is not immediately clear what may have triggered the attacks but according to Joy News’ Ernest Manu, one of the students of Katanga Hall was alleged to have been attacked yesterday which triggered a reprisal from the Kumasi-based hall, Monday.
There were also clashes between the Commonwealth Hall and the Mensah Sarbah hall, Manu added.
There is a heavy police presence on campus with many of students fearing further reprisals.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Gov't working on law to improve cybersecurity environment
- Gbewa Palace gates open as Abudus perform funeral for overlord
- Violence against women: MP charges gov’t to resource DOVVSU
- Send Ghana wants govt to crack whip on School Feeding fraud
- National Chief Imam commends and prays for Joy News' Latif Iddrisu
- School Feeding Coordinator suspended
- Punish heads who use pupils for political activities – Bright Appiah
- Ghana paying too much for Medical Drones Service – Procurement expert
- Fiesta Royale donates to Maternal Unit of Achimota Hospital
- Prempeh College ’98 old boys donate water system to school to mark homecoming anniversary
- Finding natural riches in the world's driest desert
- Full document: Controversial MoH, Zipline medical drone agreement
- Ethiopian Airlines launches services to Manchester
- New book, “Made in Ghana” to be launched Friday
- Zimbabwean nabbed with 7kg cocaine