Pope emeritus, Benedict XVI turns 91 today.
Born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger, Benedict XVI served as Pope of the Catholic Church from 2005 to 2013.
Benedict XVI was born on April 16, 1927, at Marktl, Germany
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI turns 91 today. Happy Birthday! pic.twitter.com/zLLaD04X6K— Vatican News (@VaticanNews) April 16, 2018
He was elected as Pope following the death of his predecessor, Pope John Paul II.
Benedict XVI shocked the world in February 2013 when he announced his resignation from the Papacy, becoming the first Pope to do so in almost 600 years since Pope Gregory XII.
He cited "lack of strength of mind and body" as the reason for his resignation.
He is succeeded by Pope Francis I
He maintains the title Pope and currently resides in Mater Ecclesiae monastery in the Vatican City.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- COP Kaneshie Area Apostolisation: The Holy Spirit is the utility player of your life -Aps Miah
- Black Friday! Close to 90 perish in 2 separate accidents
- Ministers’ discretion rights undermine corruption fight’
- Eight ways to save water
- South Dayi MP pushes for highway rest stop, cultural village at Peki
- Kintampo-Techiman road crash: 53 survived Friday fatality - Police
- Climate Week: Youth Groups across Africa march to demand immediate action
- 2 Dismissed Fire Service officers reinstated
- Nigeria, a sleeping tourism giant that needs awakening
- Anas frustrated by Police apathy in Hussein-Suale's murder probe
- Police request Parliament to release Ken Agyapong over assault complaint
- City guard brutally assaults young man in viral video
- Sex worker shocks Twitter with airplane toilet licking selfie video
- Updated: 55 killed in gory Kintampo-Techiman road crash
- Climate Week: Farmer-based CSOs march to promote agroecology