A family of five including a two-months-old baby have been reported dead in a fire outbreak at Dansoman, a suburb of Accra, Sunday morning.
The deceased including a pastor’s wife, three children and mother-in-law were burnt to ashes when fire gutted their storey building.
Pastor Ato Kessie, the Dansoman District pastor of the Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) church was not in the house at the time the incident happened.
An eyewitness who spoke to Adom TV’s Rita Abrefi said, the fire broke out around 5 AM in the six-bedroom storey building near the Wesley Grammar school in Dansoman.
According to him, the victims were trapped by the security burglar proof at the entrance of the room and could not run out of the house.
The eyewitness said efforts to mobilize some residents to help free the deceased were unsuccessful.
He believes by the time firefighters arrived at the scene, the damage was already done.
Director of Operations at the National Fire Service, Kwaku Manu Afful confirmed the incident to Adom News.
He said they received a distress call around 6:30 am and quickly rushed to the scene, but had to, as a result of the intensity of fire, call for support to douse the fire.
The Deputy Fire Officer said the cause of fire is still unknown and victims were already dead when they entered the room.
Meanwhile, the police were at the scene and have deposited the charred and badly disfigured bodies at the Police hospital morgue.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder
- Protest erupts over terrible Hohoe roads
- Public universities deliberately crippling private ones - Prof. Adow Obeng
- Unilever launches livelihood empowerment project for women in Upper West
- Demo in Nsuta after truck driver kills teenager
- Joy News' presenters help free 'arrested' RTI coalition member
- MTN Heroes of Change season 5 launched
- Kweku Adoboli welcomed home with 'family party'
- Couple who can’t smile because of rare condition fall in love after meeting online
- 35% tax on 10k income earners scrapped
- Private sector jobs hits 208,620 in 2018
- Gov't to provide seed money for National Cathedral - Ofori-Atta
- 2019 Budget: 50-yr 'dead' rail sector will be alive next year - Finance Minister
- Education Ministry promises major facelift for technical universities
- STAR-Ghana Foundation launched to promote active citizenship