The Ellembele Police in the Western region have arrested a man for allegedly attempting to sell his son to the city’s National Democratic Congress (NDC) constituency Chairman, Alex Mahama.
The man, who goes by name Samuel, agreed to meet Mr Mahama on Saturday evening at a Melvina Lodge hotel within the district, the Chairman told Joy News.
Upon arrival, an assembly member of the Awiebo electoral area posed as a buyer in an attempt to help police to effect an arrest.
Mr Mahama explained that Samuel, along with an accomplice, bargained with the assemblyman for the sale of his 14-year-old.
The 14-year-old boy Samuel tried to sell.
The father offered his child for GH¢100,000 but later settled for GH¢60,000. When they closed the deal, Mr Mahama recounted that the two suspects went to get the child and gave him to the assembly member.
Related coverage: Addressing human trafficking
Mr Mahama further detailed that he was made aware of Samuel’s attempt to sell off his son after a friend tipped him off. He said he was told the suspect wanted to sell his son for “financial breakthrough,” according to the Joy News reporter.
The suspect who accompanied Samuel in the selling of the 14-year-old.
Following the tip, Mr Mahama informed the Anyinase police about where the transaction was taking place to effect an arrest.
The suspects have since been placed in police custody pending further investigations.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court
- 233 communities to benefit from grid expansion in Ashanti Region
- Meteorological Agency gets 10 automatic weather stations
- 'Tinder for cows' matches livestock in the mood for love
- Establish counselling departments in schools – GNACC
- Spousal violence is a crime report all cases – CHRAJ
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself