The Ellembele Police in the Western region have arrested a man for allegedly attempting to sell his son to the city’s National Democratic Congress (NDC) constituency Chairman, Alex Mahama.
The man, who goes by name Samuel, agreed to meet Mr Mahama on Saturday evening at a Melvina Lodge hotel within the district, the Chairman told Joy News.
Upon arrival, an assembly member of the Awiebo electoral area posed as a buyer in an attempt to help police to effect an arrest.
Mr Mahama explained that Samuel, along with an accomplice, bargained with the assemblyman for the sale of his 14-year-old.
The 14-year-old boy Samuel tried to sell.
The father offered his child for GH¢100,000 but later settled for GH¢60,000. When they closed the deal, Mr Mahama recounted that the two suspects went to get the child and gave him to the assembly member.
Related coverage: Addressing human trafficking
Mr Mahama further detailed that he was made aware of Samuel’s attempt to sell off his son after a friend tipped him off. He said he was told the suspect wanted to sell his son for “financial breakthrough,” according to the Joy News reporter.
The suspect who accompanied Samuel in the selling of the 14-year-old.
Following the tip, Mr Mahama informed the Anyinase police about where the transaction was taking place to effect an arrest.
The suspects have since been placed in police custody pending further investigations.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo
- 60-year-old graduate is 2018 National Best Farmer