The Kwahu East District Assembly has presented cash and logistical supports to 275 Persons with Disability (PWDs) under the Disability Common Fund.
A total of 23 PWDs received wheelchairs, popcorn machines, sewing machines, hair dryers, block moulding machines, barbering sterilizers, clutches, shoe-binding machines among others for income generating activities.
Eighty-three students with disabilities have also received scholarships, while 90 persons have been given financial support as start-ups.
Already 73 persons have received funds to support their livelihood, making a total of 269.
The rest received funds for health and assistive devices including prosthetic limbs.
Mr Isaac Agyapong, Kwahu East District Chief Executive said this is the presentation to PWDs in the district.
He says Government had schemes in place to provide jobs for PWDs.
He said the Disability Common Fund had been increased from two to three per cent whiles the Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty initiative had also been expanded to benefit more communities in the district.
District Chairman of the Ghana Federation of the Disabled Mr Timothy Adu expressed gratitude to Government and the assembly and urged beneficiaries to make good use of the support.
He warned PWDs begging for alms on streets and asked them to exhibit their productiveness by developing economic ventures.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Love potion for sale: Herbalist claims to possess powers that prevent divorce
- I don’t know why my men wore masks - SWAT Commander Azugu
- 'My boys overacted' – SWAT commander tells Short Commission
- Komla Dumor family outlines 5th-anniversary plans
- 6 new districts to be inaugurated on Tuesday
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, February 18, 2019
- Ghana Publishing Company, KNUST sign deal to promote research, skills dev’t
- Ghanaian engineers urge gov’t to intensify investment in technology, innovation
- GIS to begin nationwide crackdown on landlords renting out to ‘illegal residents’
- Top UK high schools to recruit students, footballers in Ghana
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- 5 best trips for solo travellers
- UN experts urge govt to ensure justice for slain Ahmed
- Photos: 2 passengers allegedly raped, others robbed at gunpoint
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged