The Kwahu West Municipal Assembly of the Eastern Region has supported some 68 persons with disability with a number of items to improve their living standards.
The items, which are to help the beneficiaries venture into commercially viable activities, were procured from the share of the common fund allocated to the Assembly.
Persons with disabilities have a 3% share of all quarterly releases of the DACF meant for their upkeep. The Fund was previously disbursed in cash to the physically challenged persons for their use.
The government, however, took a decision that instead of handing out cash to the benefiaries which they usually dissipated in no time, it was better to ensure that the money was used to secure sources of living with their consent.
In compliance with this directive therefore, the Assembly decided to use the funds to set them up in small business ventures which would help improve their economic status instead of taking the cash.
At a brief ceremony at the premises of the Assembly on Thursday, August 9, 2018, the Municipal Chief Executive, Yaw Owusu Addo, presented some brand new refrigerators deep freezers, sewing machines and some electrical appliances to the beneficiaries to enable them start businesses on their own.
Mr. Owusu Addo with the assistance of the Coordinating Director, Alhaji Musah Issah, also presented gas ovens, plastic chairs as well as some food items and livestock, based on the requests made by some of the beneficiaries.
According to the MCE, a total of GHȼ90,894.55 was spent to procure the items.
The items were received directly by the individual beneficiaries.
Present at the ceremony were the Chairman of the Ghana Federation for the Disabled in the Municipality, Joseph Abankwa and Jeseph Adu who is also the Chairperson of the Assembly’s Disability Fund Management Committee.
The beneficiaries are made of 43 physically challenged persons, 14 visually impaired as well as 11 others suffering from hearing impairment.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- SSGL is Environmental, Sanitation Services Company of the Year
- 42 minors rescued from slavery on Volta Lake
- Trust God, build well - Minister advises potential victims of earth tremors
- Police open probe into sexual assault of British girls, teacher at gunpoint
- Accra Technical University to offer training in drone technology
- Free SHS: Kufuor poo-poo’s ‘rich must pay’ argument
- National Chief Imam honours Dr Bawumia
- Avoid redundancy exercise if possible – HR expert counsels practitioners
- Students Loan Trust releases GHS7m for applicants
- The levitating stone of Shivapur: A controversial ‘miracle’
- People going mad for Emirates’ ‘diamond covered’ plane
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon