The District Chief Executive (DCE) for North Tongu in the Volta Region, Collins Richard Arku, has assured traders that they will provide security at the Juapong market where they have been attacked numerous times by robbers.
Market women for some time now have complained that the robbers deprive them of their livelihood by making away with their daily sales.
The situation is affecting trading activities at the market since traders now prefer to stay away from the Juapong Market, relocating to other trading centres due to the absence of security at the market.
The market women say their fears are further heightened by the absence of proper lightening at the market, increasing their vulnerability to robbery attacks in the evening.
The traders raised the concerns during an interaction with the District Chief Executive. Collins Richard Arku was on a familiarisation tour of the market in an effort to get first-hand knowledge of impediments to their business activities.
The traders urged the DCE to deal with the attacks with speed.
The DCE indicated that a security installation has been planned for the area to ensure their safety and provide a conducive environment for business to thrive.
"My visit is to interact with you and to assure you that all your concerns raised are already being worked addressed by the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) which is a listening government and will provide the needed facilities for you to work in a friendly environment, " Collins Arku said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- I don’t know why my men wore masks - SWAT Commander Azugu
- 'My boys overacted' – SWAT commander tells Short Commission
- Komla Dumor family outlines 5th-anniversary plans
- 6 new districts to be inaugurated on Tuesday
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, February 18, 2019
- Ghana Publishing Company, KNUST sign deal to promote research, skills dev’t
- Ghanaian engineers urge gov’t to intensify investment in technology, innovation
- GIS to begin nationwide crackdown on landlords renting out to ‘illegal residents’
- Top UK high schools to recruit students, footballers in Ghana
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- 5 best trips for solo travellers
- UN experts urge govt to ensure justice for slain Ahmed
- Photos: 2 passengers allegedly raped, others robbed at gunpoint
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court