Some 12 Ghanaians, nine Chinese and a Togolese suspected to be illegal miners have been arrested at sites by personnel of the Western Forward Operating Base (FOB) of Operation Vanguard team.
Other bases of Operation Vanguard conducted similar patrols on August,8, 2018 and seized several items but made no arrests.
These patrols were conducted in about 16 communities across four mining zones in four regions.
The communities include Akanteng, Osenase, Asamankese, Dwenase, Osino and Apradan in the Akyem West, Fanteakwa and Kwahu West Districts of the Eastern region; Bepotenten in the Amansie Central District of the Ashanti region.
Hiawa, Prestea and Enyinam in the Amenfi Central and Prestea Huni Valley Districts of the Western region and Adahamase, Assin Asamang in the Atiwa Nwabiagya District of the Central region.
Of those arrested, 7 Ghanaians, 6 Chinese and 1 Togolese were arrested in the Amenfi Central District while three Chinese and five Ghanaians were arrested in the Prestea Huni Valley District all of the Western region.
All suspected persons were handed over to Manso Amenfi and Prestea Police stations respectively.
Items immobilised during the operation included 2 Excavators, 24 Changfan machines, 10 Floating platforms, and 3 Grease Guns. Items seized included 1 Excavator, 1 Nissan Navara pick up, 1 Motor cycle, 2 Control boards, 2 Monitors 1 Battery and 2 Pump Action guns.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Father pulls son out of school so he can focus on video games full time
- Two planes collide at U.S. airport
- Amidu lashes out at Yaw Boaben Asamoa
- Apology from Adom FM newsroom to Sanitation Minister
- Sanitation minister apologises
- Section of Legon-Okponglo road temporarily closed
- Mass production of lawyers, forget it - CJ
- Avoke storms UEW to reinstate self as Vice-Chancellor
- 20 SHSs in Ashanti, Bono complete STEM camp in Kumasi
- 2 High Schools in U/E to remain closed for 2 weeks
- UEW VC sued by lecturer who wants Avoke back
- StanChart, Prudential Life launch savings and educational product
- Police arrest 3 with human parts
- KNUST student from less endowed SHS becomes valedictorian
- Investment in data collection important to surviving water disasters – Weather expert