Some 12 Ghanaians, nine Chinese and a Togolese suspected to be illegal miners have been arrested at sites by personnel of the Western Forward Operating Base (FOB) of Operation Vanguard team.
Other bases of Operation Vanguard conducted similar patrols on August,8, 2018 and seized several items but made no arrests.
These patrols were conducted in about 16 communities across four mining zones in four regions.
The communities include Akanteng, Osenase, Asamankese, Dwenase, Osino and Apradan in the Akyem West, Fanteakwa and Kwahu West Districts of the Eastern region; Bepotenten in the Amansie Central District of the Ashanti region.
Hiawa, Prestea and Enyinam in the Amenfi Central and Prestea Huni Valley Districts of the Western region and Adahamase, Assin Asamang in the Atiwa Nwabiagya District of the Central region.
Of those arrested, 7 Ghanaians, 6 Chinese and 1 Togolese were arrested in the Amenfi Central District while three Chinese and five Ghanaians were arrested in the Prestea Huni Valley District all of the Western region.
All suspected persons were handed over to Manso Amenfi and Prestea Police stations respectively.
Items immobilised during the operation included 2 Excavators, 24 Changfan machines, 10 Floating platforms, and 3 Grease Guns. Items seized included 1 Excavator, 1 Nissan Navara pick up, 1 Motor cycle, 2 Control boards, 2 Monitors 1 Battery and 2 Pump Action guns.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- FGM practices in Ghana: A note to the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Protection
- Relegating local dishes to background cause of low productivity
- Love potion for sale: Herbalist claims to possess powers that prevent divorce
- I don’t know why my men wore masks - SWAT Commander Azugu
- 'My boys overacted' – SWAT commander tells Short Commission
- Komla Dumor family outlines 5th-anniversary plans
- 6 new districts to be inaugurated on Tuesday
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, February 18, 2019
- Ghana Publishing Company, KNUST sign deal to promote research, skills dev’t
- Ghanaian engineers urge gov’t to intensify investment in technology, innovation
- GIS to begin nationwide crackdown on landlords renting out to ‘illegal residents’
- Top UK high schools to recruit students, footballers in Ghana
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- 5 best trips for solo travellers
- UN experts urge govt to ensure justice for slain Ahmed