A man who is alleged to have shot and paralysed his wife in 2016 has been charged with attempted murder.
Effort Dankwa, 36, was arrested in 2016 after police investigations identified him as the prime suspect in an attack on his wife, Benita Dankwa, 29.
Benita was eight months pregnant at the time the incident occurred, Joy News’ Manasseh Azure Awuni who broke the story reported two years ago.
She was shot in the chest, in what she believed was an attempt by her husband to kill her.
She did not die but the attack left her paralysed and incapable to pass urine or faecal matter the natural way.
Benita has been left paralysed after the incident
She had to give birth prematurely to save her herself and her baby.
Investigations suggested there was no break into her house the night of the attack and the only person she spent the night with was her husband.
Police have charged Effort with attempted murder but a hearing scheduled for Tuesday has been postponed because the defendant’s lawyer failed to show up in court.
Manasseh, who was on location inside the courtroom, reported that the case has been adjourned to January 9, 2019, as certain processes needed for the commencement of the case are yet to be completed.
Benita was in court with some members of her family and as Manasseh reports, she is doing quite well.
Her family hopes to get justice for their daughter.
Benita gives an account of what happened the day she was shot in the video below:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Law enforcement won't stop frequent accidents - Police
- World Bank praises Free SHS, pledges support
- Ewutu Senya West MP donates school block, start-up cash to constituents
- ‘It won’t stop accidents' – Expert downplays NRSC push be an Authority
- Takoradi: Missing one-year-old boy found
- From the newsstands: Tuesday, March 26, 2019
- General Legal Council blamed for Law School brouhaha
- Man spikes co-workers’ drinks with LSD because they had “negative energy”
- The secret to Danish happiness?
- University of Utah, USA to start MPH degree program in Ghana at Ensign College
- Intelligence reveals transmission line hacking sabotage – Energy Minister
- Transport Minister condemns indiscipline on roads, visits accident victims
- NSMQ: VASEC, Zion College win in Volta qualifiers
- Swedru Municipal guard, others in assault video remanded
- Twifo Herman: 21 Persons critically injured after heavy downpour