Zonta Club of Accra has donated a quantity of medical consumables and furniture to the Haatso Government Maternity Centre to mark the 99th anniversary of Zonta International. The donation was to enable the Health Directorate kick start the operations of the Centre which hitherto was vacant.
The facility which has a labour ward, pharmacy, administrative office, an out patients’ department (OPD) and two focus antenatal rooms was built two years ago by the MP for the area, Madam Adwoa Sarfo with support from the Municipal Assembly and the Chief and people of the area.
The items valued at GHC 21,000, included three new hospital beds, medicine cabinet, 300 pieces of sanitary towels, syringes, needles, surgical and examination gloves, umbilical cord clamps, cotton wool, disinfectants and bleach. The furniture was made up of office chairs, desks and plastic chairs.
Presenting the items to the Deputy Director of Nursing Services (DDNS), Mrs. Rejoice Bansa, the President of the Club, Mrs. Janet Tamaklo, expressed Zonta’s concern with mother and baby welfare and said the Club was pleased to contribute to equipping the newly constructed Maternity Centre.
She said the Centre would assist in reducing mortality rate in the community with proper antenatal care, safe deliveries and appropriate advice from professional midwives. She added that the presence of professional midwives would afford the community needed advice on underage pregnancies and the risks involved.
The Ga East Municipal Health Director, Dr. Justice Hoffman, expressed the Directorate’s appreciation to the Club and promised that the items would be well taken care of and the consumables put to good use.
In line with the objectives of Zonta International, the empowerment and welfare of women is of utmost importance. The Club, therefore, decided to assist the Health Directorate in ensuring that the Centre was opened to offer the much-needed maternity services to the Haatso community and its environs.
Present at the ceremony were staff and midwives of the Maternity Centre as well as some members of the Zonta Club of Accra.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making
- EC received no briefing from police on operational plans – Jean Mensa reveals