Zonta Club of Accra has donated a quantity of medical consumables and furniture to the Haatso Government Maternity Centre to mark the 99th anniversary of Zonta International. The donation was to enable the Health Directorate kick start the operations of the Centre which hitherto was vacant.
The facility which has a labour ward, pharmacy, administrative office, an out patients’ department (OPD) and two focus antenatal rooms was built two years ago by the MP for the area, Madam Adwoa Sarfo with support from the Municipal Assembly and the Chief and people of the area.
The items valued at GHC 21,000, included three new hospital beds, medicine cabinet, 300 pieces of sanitary towels, syringes, needles, surgical and examination gloves, umbilical cord clamps, cotton wool, disinfectants and bleach. The furniture was made up of office chairs, desks and plastic chairs.
Presenting the items to the Deputy Director of Nursing Services (DDNS), Mrs. Rejoice Bansa, the President of the Club, Mrs. Janet Tamaklo, expressed Zonta’s concern with mother and baby welfare and said the Club was pleased to contribute to equipping the newly constructed Maternity Centre.
She said the Centre would assist in reducing mortality rate in the community with proper antenatal care, safe deliveries and appropriate advice from professional midwives. She added that the presence of professional midwives would afford the community needed advice on underage pregnancies and the risks involved.
The Ga East Municipal Health Director, Dr. Justice Hoffman, expressed the Directorate’s appreciation to the Club and promised that the items would be well taken care of and the consumables put to good use.
In line with the objectives of Zonta International, the empowerment and welfare of women is of utmost importance. The Club, therefore, decided to assist the Health Directorate in ensuring that the Centre was opened to offer the much-needed maternity services to the Haatso community and its environs.
Present at the ceremony were staff and midwives of the Maternity Centre as well as some members of the Zonta Club of Accra.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day