The single biggest arrest of suspected illegal miners has been effected in the Ashanti region.
16 miners were rounded up deep inside the Kobro forest reserve believed to have huge mineral deposits.
The arrest by the taskforce working under the Inter-ministerial committee against illegal mining raises concerns that illegal mining is outlasting government’s resolve to deal with the menace.
The taskforce retrieved 14 long butt pump action assault rifles and one rare military grade M16 assault rifle.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
Some of the weapons were brand new, Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor reported. Six new excavators were also grounded.
Two ex-military officers who were manning the site told the team the owner of the site, one Donald Enstuah has a permit from the minerals commission.
One of the 15 sites owned by Enstuah is the size of about six football fields combined.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- GMA demands suspension of drone health service deliveries
- Osei Asante chairs International Cost Engineering Council
- UPSA Vice-Chancellor honoured with CIMG Fellow status
- REGSEC meets Abudu, Andani reps ahead of 2 funerals
- Culinary industry appeals to government to waive taxes
- Ghana not prepared for looming earthquake – Geological service
- Part of Kumasi City Mall ceiling collapses
- Gold-obsessed man wears 13kg of the metal wherever he goes
- A 1,000-year-old road lost to time
- MPs advocate for revival of Maths, Science and Technology scholarship
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- Notorious robbery kingpins jailed 176 years
- Cocoa Nti fertilizer certified – Scientist tells court
- Give Me Hope Foundation gears up for its Needy Child Outreach programme
- Hanna Tetteh gets new UN post, heads UN Office at AU