The single biggest arrest of suspected illegal miners has been effected in the Ashanti region.
16 miners were rounded up deep inside the Kobro forest reserve believed to have huge mineral deposits.
The arrest by the taskforce working under the Inter-ministerial committee against illegal mining raises concerns that illegal mining is outlasting government’s resolve to deal with the menace.
The taskforce retrieved 14 long butt pump action assault rifles and one rare military grade M16 assault rifle.
Some of the weapons were brand new, Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor reported. Six new excavators were also grounded.
Two ex-military officers who were manning the site told the team the owner of the site, one Donald Enstuah has a permit from the minerals commission.
One of the 15 sites owned by Enstuah is the size of about six football fields combined.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Threat of terror: ‘Be vigilant of suspicious behaviours’ - GPCC
- This woman claims she can’t find a job because of her good looks
- The ‘sacred forests’ of northern Ethiopia
- We're confident missing Taadi girls will be found - Ghana Gas to families
- Police retrieve Stonebwoy’s pistol
- 6th National Policy Summit launched
- Photos: Methodist Girls' SHS wins 2019 World ROBOFEST competition
- That's My Opinion: If it's good in America then it's good in Ghana?
- Photos: Ayariga fears for his cars after 45-mins rain
- Man chooses jail over going home to wife
- Church terror scare: Sunday school children are easy targets - Police
- Adopt positive attitude towards Ghana's dev't - Papa Owusu-Ankomah
- Two staff at Office of Special Prosecutor allegedly steal fuel
- Thousands of Burkinabes flee to Ghana over unrest
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, May 20, 2019