Some persons with disability have petitioned the Ministry of Works and Housing to ensure that buildings in the country are disability-friendly.
On a visit to the Housing Ministry on December 6, leader of the group, Reverend John Merful said successive governments over the years have failed to monitor and ensure that buildings in the country were disability-friendly.
“Government should show by example and adjust all government buildings to disability-friendly immediately, so as to have the moral justification to sanction other building owners when they do not comply,” he stated.
Rev. Merful added, “accessibility for persons with disabilities is a right and the excuses are enough, the government must act now.”
He suggested government should ensure no bid is considered on presentation without meeting the accessibility criteria.
“Ensure any contractor who fails to comply with the accessibility provisions of the law is sanctioned,” he added.
Deputy Minister for Works and Housing, Eugene Boakye Antwi, told the group regulations to see to the implementations of the newly drafted building code will be launched.
To ensure the safety of all public, residential and industrial buildings across the country, the government together with the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA) launched the Ghana Building Code in October 2018.
Vice president, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia said the code determines the standards required for all construction works adding, the code will be a benchmark in ensuring value for more for all types of construction works in Ghana.
Mr. Antwi said the regulations will give meaning to the building code to ensure swift and effective implementation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 5 best trips for solo travellers
- UN experts urge govt to ensure justice for slain Ahmed
- Photos: 2 passengers allegedly raped, others robbed at gunpoint
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court
- 233 communities to benefit from grid expansion in Ashanti Region
- Meteorological Agency gets 10 automatic weather stations
- 'Tinder for cows' matches livestock in the mood for love
- Establish counselling departments in schools – GNACC
- Spousal violence is a crime report all cases – CHRAJ
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil