Some persons with disability have petitioned the Ministry of Works and Housing to ensure that buildings in the country are disability-friendly.
On a visit to the Housing Ministry on December 6, leader of the group, Reverend John Merful said successive governments over the years have failed to monitor and ensure that buildings in the country were disability-friendly.
“Government should show by example and adjust all government buildings to disability-friendly immediately, so as to have the moral justification to sanction other building owners when they do not comply,” he stated.
Rev. Merful added, “accessibility for persons with disabilities is a right and the excuses are enough, the government must act now.”
He suggested government should ensure no bid is considered on presentation without meeting the accessibility criteria.
“Ensure any contractor who fails to comply with the accessibility provisions of the law is sanctioned,” he added.
Deputy Minister for Works and Housing, Eugene Boakye Antwi, told the group regulations to see to the implementations of the newly drafted building code will be launched.
To ensure the safety of all public, residential and industrial buildings across the country, the government together with the Ghana Standards Authority (GSA) launched the Ghana Building Code in October 2018.
Vice president, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia said the code determines the standards required for all construction works adding, the code will be a benchmark in ensuring value for more for all types of construction works in Ghana.
Mr. Antwi said the regulations will give meaning to the building code to ensure swift and effective implementation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- MTN, Dext Technology support public schools with over 2,000 science sets
- Israel trains over 2000 Ghanaian professionals in MASHAV courses
- KNUST becomes first in West Africa to win 'Pan African Universities Debate' contest
- GII engages private sector on Business Integrity and corruption
- Delta sponsors 2018 Junior Achievement Company of the Year Competition
- I never welcomed drone health service - GMA General Secretary
- Retraction and apology to GMA General Secretary, Dep. Information minister
- Be wary of Ghana's security before passing RTI- Ex-Pres Kufuor
- Medical outreach to mark 10th anniversary of Buipewura Jinapor II
- First Atlantic Bank donates Mother and Baby Unit to the Talensi District Hospital
- OtherslikemeGH participates in Total Startupper of the Year Competition
- Gandhi statue on University of Ghana ‘falls’
- Roman Ridge School tops Inter schools Chess tournament
- 'For the dignity of mankind' - Ghanaian who saved life on KLM flight reveals motivation
- “Earthquakes don’t kill, poor buildings do” GSA pushes for L.I.