The single biggest arrest of suspected illegal miners has been effected in the Ashanti region.
16 miners were rounded up deep inside the Kobro forest reserve believed to have huge mineral deposits.
The arrest by the taskforce working under the Inter-ministerial committee against illegal mining raises concerns that illegal mining is outlasting government’s resolve to deal with the menace.
The taskforce retrieved 14 long butt pump action assault rifles and one rare military grade M16 assault rifle.
Some of the weapons were brand new, Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor reported. Six new excavators were also grounded.
Two ex-military officers who were manning the site told the team the owner of the site, one Donald Enstuah has a permit from the minerals commission.
One of the 15 sites owned by Enstuah is the size of about six football fields combined.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making