National Coordinator, National Farmers’ Day Secretariat, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah, has said that there will be no regional celebration of the 2018 National Farmers’ Day.
The decision to cancel the Regional celebrations was due to the fact that more funds were being used for regional funfair to the detriment of the districts, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah has told the Ghana News Agency (GNA).
Mr Osei-Nkrumah said in view of that Government had directed that all funds meant for regional Farmers’ Day celebration should be channelled for the strengthening of the district celebrations.
The 2018 National Farmer Day, which is on the general theme: “Agriculture, Moving Ghana beyond Aid,” would be observed only at the district and national levels.
This year’s activities started with a National Agricultural Fair from Thursday, November 29, which is expected to hit its climaxed on Friday, December 7, at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium in Tamale, Northern Region.
Mr Osei-Nkrumah explained that five categories of winners from each Region – the Regional Best Farmers, First Runner-Up, Second Runner-Up, Regional Best Agricultural Extension Agent, and Regional Best Fisherman, would be honoured by the President at the National Celebration.
The National Farmers Day is commemorated each year on the first Friday of December to honour the nation's gallant farmers and fishers.
The event acknowledges the vital position farmers and fishers occupy in the nations socio-economic development.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: Ghana Connect discusses gender-based violence
- Implement new mining policy effectively- Media coalition against galamsey tells gov't
- Cargill calls on COCOBOD, Agric Minister
- 4-year-old girl dead after being defiled
- Ban on small-scale mining lifted
- New dawn as gov’t train ‘galamseyers’ to mine the right way
- From grass to grace: How a young man surmounted challenges to become CEO
- Anti-galamsey taskforce attacked over arrest of Chinese miners
- Special report and photos: A boy’s wish
- Prampram Mankralo gunned down by unknown assailants
- Newspaper headlines: Friday, December 14, 2018
- Man quits his job to wait for “dream girl” he made eye contact with for 10 seconds
- City Construction & Properties Awards launched to promote building excellence
- The deadliest place in Earth’s history?
- NCA warns defaulting radio stations to settle authorisation fees