National Coordinator, National Farmers’ Day Secretariat, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah, has said that there will be no regional celebration of the 2018 National Farmers’ Day.
The decision to cancel the Regional celebrations was due to the fact that more funds were being used for regional funfair to the detriment of the districts, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah has told the Ghana News Agency (GNA).
Mr Osei-Nkrumah said in view of that Government had directed that all funds meant for regional Farmers’ Day celebration should be channelled for the strengthening of the district celebrations.
The 2018 National Farmer Day, which is on the general theme: “Agriculture, Moving Ghana beyond Aid,” would be observed only at the district and national levels.
This year’s activities started with a National Agricultural Fair from Thursday, November 29, which is expected to hit its climaxed on Friday, December 7, at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium in Tamale, Northern Region.
Mr Osei-Nkrumah explained that five categories of winners from each Region – the Regional Best Farmers, First Runner-Up, Second Runner-Up, Regional Best Agricultural Extension Agent, and Regional Best Fisherman, would be honoured by the President at the National Celebration.
The National Farmers Day is commemorated each year on the first Friday of December to honour the nation's gallant farmers and fishers.
The event acknowledges the vital position farmers and fishers occupy in the nations socio-economic development.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu